eastern shore of Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a dolphin nautilus cc plus that was left with the pool from the previous owners. I have used it relentlessly that past two summers with only a few minor issues that eventually corrected themself. I use my vacuum daily but today when I put it in the water it would not move. I pulled it out and turned it upside down and powered on. The motor kicked on, the rollers moved forward and backwards. I powered it off and dropped it back in the pool. It keeps starting up than the left side lifts up slightly than drops. It repeats this process until it eventually cuts off completely. I tried to attach a video but it wouldn’t allow me to. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Does it move forward an inch or two, then back and inch or two, then just stop ? If so, that appears to be a fairly common failure mode indicating it's failing its self-test for some reason.
Best I know, these aren't really 'repairable' - the motor unit costs almost as much as a new robot...

Check inside around the impeller etc to make sure nothing is obviously blocking/binding.

Any idea how old it is - I know the one my previous owners left died basically the same way - guessing it was 4-5 years old, which seems to be the expected lifespan of these devices unfortunately.

Does it move forward an inch or two, then back and inch or two, then just stop ? If so, that appears to be a fairly common failure mode indicating it's failing its self-test for some reason.
Best I know, these aren't really 'repairable' - the motor unit costs almost as much as a new robot...

Check inside around the impeller etc to make sure nothing is obviously blocking/binding.

Any idea how old it is - I know the one my previous owners left died basically the same way - guessing it was 4-5 years old, which seems to be the expected lifespan of these devices unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply. When in the water it doesn’t move forward or back at all. It just starts floating up on one side then drops back down and tries to start up again. I’m not sure how old the robot is unfortunately

I'd wait and see who else can chime in, it sounds like the impeller isn't running right or is impeded.
Based on similar stories in the past, and a quick web-search, a new motor is about $450, a new cable probably $180. Repair at a 'certified' repair shop probably $300+...

At some point, how much money do you throw at a potentially 4+ year old robot with a lifespan of 4-5 years, when you can buy a new one for what you're paying to 'repair' the old one.
This built-in obsolescence seems to be endemic in the industry these days - the business model is "Hook you on the convenience, so you keep re-buying the less than durable product"

For what it's worth, I've had of these and it's been an absolutely low quality product. I had a Tigershark prior to this and although minor wear & tear pieces would break every once in a while, it was easy to fix. With this vacum cleaner, my first died in less than 2yrs due to issues with their really bad "no tangle" design. Basically the contact wasn't happening anymore and I had to change the entire cord assembly (but I couldn't do that since once the box was opened, it wouldn't seal anymore. Now that the new year is starting, It's tripping the GFCI breaker because water got into the charger. They simply don't last and the cleaning power isn't worth it to me. It's not as good as the TIgerShark was. ie: I wouldn't buy another one personally.