Dolphin Nautilus CC missing parts of the pool

LimeyInNC

May 26, 2023
Wilmington NC
Last week we bought the Dolphin for our 34ft fiberglass pool. The pool is kind of a irregular shape (see my profile pic). Its our first robot.

The Dolphin is super-easy to use and seems to do a good job on most of the pool, even making it up the sides where there is a ledge right the way around, turning sideways and working its way around.

However on the 3 times we've used it so far, it has missed some parts of the shallow end itself as well as the large ledge at this end (step/seat). It does fine with a smaller ledge at the deep end. While ignoring these same parts of the pool each time, there are other locations it goes over repeatedly time and time again - at least 6 or 7 times. It's frustrating to watch it missing all that dirt while polishing perfectly clean pool over and over! I was assuming it would have some kind of algorithm to enable it to map out where it has gone on its current run, and where it still needs to go, but it seems that it just moves at random, so its chance whether it cleans the entire pool or not.

I've tried starting it each time from different parts of the pool - the deep end, the middle, and even on the step/seat in the shallow end, but the result is the end - a dirty shallow end, so I still need to get old school pool hoover hose out and do it manually, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a robot.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do we have a dud, or is this just inherent with these? Is there anyway to instruct it to go to specific areas that its missing? I was hoping the app would show me a map of the pool while it was working so I could click and say "go here, you've missed a section" but that doesn't seem to be possible. Is there a way I can just manually pick it up and pass it over the bits its missing to avoid having to get out the old school hose?

Last week we bought the Dolphin for our 34ft fiberglass pool. The pool is kind of a irregular shape (see my profile pic). Its our first robot.

The Dolphin is super-easy to use and seems to do a good job on most of the pool, even making it up the sides where there is a ledge right the way around, turning sideways and working its way around.

However on the 3 times we've used it so far, it has missed some parts of the shallow end itself as well as the large ledge at this end (step/seat). It does fine with a smaller ledge at the deep end. While ignoring these same parts of the pool each time, there are other locations it goes over repeatedly time and time again - at least 6 or 7 times. It's frustrating to watch it missing all that dirt while polishing perfectly clean pool over and over! I was assuming it would have some kind of algorithm to enable it to map out where it has gone on its current run, and where it still needs to go, but it seems that it just moves at random, so its chance whether it cleans the entire pool or not.

I've tried starting it each time from different parts of the pool - the deep end, the middle, and even on the step/seat in the shallow end, but the result is the end - a dirty shallow end, so I still need to get old school pool hoover hose out and do it manually, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a robot.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do we have a dud, or is this just inherent with these? Is there anyway to instruct it to go to specific areas that its missing? I was hoping the app would show me a map of the pool while it was working so I could click and say "go here, you've missed a section" but that doesn't seem to be possible. Is there a way I can just manually pick it up and pass it over the bits its missing to avoid having to get out the old school hose?
That’s just the nature of it. You can try sweeping the debris to another area and try to get it to run over it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.