Dolphin Maytronics vacuum tripping GFCI after few seconds

BB_Sacramento

Aug 14, 2015
sacramento/CA
When we turn on the Dolphin Maytronics vacuum it runs for a few seconds then the GFCI trips and it turns off. Also when we press the power button on the power source not all lights come on like they used to. This started after it rained. This vacuum is about 3.5 years old and the power supply is not covered and gets wet when it rains but we thought it was sealed to the elements. We are wondering if it got wet somewhere, and if so can we dry it or replace the power unit only? A few months ago we replaced the power cord ourselves, which involved opening the unit that goes into the pool, but only plugs into the power unit (we didn't have to open the power unit ever.) Since we replaced the cord it's worked fine until now, after this rain....so we suspect water and not an electrical issue. Advice?

Unplug the Robot from control box and then press the power on button to see if it's the control box tripping the GFCI or the Robot. (I'm just assuming it's a Robot).
So, if we unplug the robot vacuum from the power source and turn the power source box on, will it work as though the vacuum is plugged into it? When we turn it on it works for a minute or two, then pops the GFCI. So it'd have to run for a couple of minutes before we'd know if the power source box is good.

BB
Good point...
My control box will stay on even if the Robot is disconnected. It may be smart enough to know that robot is not connected and not try to output power to the socket? All makes and models may be different as well so you can only try. Have you tried to dry out the suspected wet control box? Powering up wet electronics could cause more damage.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Update: The power box for our Maytronics Dolphin robotic vacuum had water in the back of it. After drying it out for a couple of days we plugged it back in and the vacuum works now and the GFCI doesn't trip any longer! But there is one issue - the power control box has a power button and additional buttons to control the length of time the vacuum runs. The only button that works is the power button. The other buttons don't come on any longer. I think the default is 3 hours running time, and I think that's what length of time it's running now. Thank you for your help!

Update: The power box for our Maytronics Dolphin robotic vacuum had water in the back of it. After drying it out for a couple of days we plugged it back in and the vacuum works now and the GFCI doesn't trip any longer! But there is one issue - the power control box has a power button and additional buttons to control the length of time the vacuum runs. The only button that works is the power button. The other buttons don't come on any longer. I think the default is 3 hours running time, and I think that's what length of time it's running now. Thank you for your help!
What a great Christmas present!
Which robot do u have? You may be able to put it in automation mode & use a smart outlet for scheduling.
There are several threads that explain it - here’s a good one
Also there are many people on here who have used a variety of weather proof boxes/ shelters to protect their power supply box from rain & uv so they can leave them out & have them run on a schedule. A quick search should lead u in the right the direction.

Reactions: BB_Sacramento
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.