Dolphin M600 vs Dolphin Sigma. Difficult decision with regard to cleaning ability

bben

Mar 12, 2022
LA
I've been looking for a robotic cleaner. Tried M600 demo and Sigma.

Dolphin Sigma constantly (every 10-15 minutes) got stuck on my main drain and wasn't able to free itself. In addition, the filters are pretty small and more time consuming to clean after a few runs.

Dolphin M600 did not get stuck on the main drain AT ALL but it was noticeably slower and less powerful. It would neglect certain parts of the pool and would stay in the deep end more often.

I'm a little confused by this and calling Dolphin doesn't help as the general stuff seems to just know the basics. How could the Sigma be so much more powerful and more through than the top of the line M600. Would appreciate any input.

I don't know the answer, but I saw this posted on another thread and thought I'd share it while you wait for answers... just look at all the different models of Dolphin! It's outrageous. No wonder it's so hard to compare models.

Welcome to TFP! What is your expectation for the robot? From your post, I would guess, don't get stuck on the main drain, have enough suction to vacuum, brush and filter the pool. And be quick about it.

I am not sure about speed. I have a robot that on a full cycle, I believe it is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. I can manually vacuum my pool in about 40 minutes. Then I would have to brush the walls for about another 15 - 20 minutes. The robot in my case is about ease of use. Put it in the pool and come back later to remove it and clean out the filter compartment. Sorry, I can't add any information on the particular models you're looking at.

PEr
I don't know the answer, but I saw this posted on another thread and thought I'd share it while you wait for answers... just look at all the different models of Dolphin! It's outrageous. No wonder it's so hard to compare models.

Per the link, it looks like Sigma is a copy of a discontinued commercial pool cleaner with 3 motors (c3). This might be why it's so powerful compared to M600 (I can't find clear evidence about the number of motors M600 has as Dolphin does not advertise this fact for the M600 but I'm assuming two or less since they don't advertise it?).

I wonder if the extra suction power of the Sigma has anything to do with it getting stuck on the drain so often.

I would appreciate any input on the number of motors the Dolphin M400 and M600 have and whether they are the same motor or not. These things don't seem to be discussed often when advise on pool cleaners are given.

As far as I know the M600 / Active 60 only has 1 motor that is bigger than all the rest under it.. It does have 2 brushes unlike the 1 brush all the other have..

It looks like the Sigma has about the same motor as the M600 or at least the same GPH rate for both... :unsure:

The dolphin wave 140 looks to be one of the only one's with 2 motors and 9000 GPH rate, not sure the 6 grand for it is worth it... :eek:

PEr

Per the link, it looks like Sigma is a copy of a discontinued commercial pool cleaner with 3 motors (c3). This might be why it's so powerful compared to M600 (I can't find clear evidence about the number of motors M600 has as Dolphin does not advertise this fact for the M600 but I'm assuming two or less since they don't advertise it?).

I wonder if the extra suction power of the Sigma has anything to do with it getting stuck on the drain so often.

I would appreciate any input on the number of motors the Dolphin M400 and M600 have and whether they are the same motor or not. These things don't seem to be discussed often when advise on pool cleaners are given.
I have been using my Sigma since March 2021 works great except I only get my 3rd step cleaned every other trip. It was on sale for $1,100 and has a 3-year warranty. I run it every day from May-Oct. then program it for 3 days a week in the winter when it is covered most of the time. It is great to leave on a two-week vacation to come home to a clean pool between the SWG & the Sigma. I run my VP at 1700 and no issues going over the drain. I have also run it at 3450 and again no issues but I have a low profile drain. On average clean every weekend but I have been lazy at times waiting two weeks. With the dual filters I use the regular on one side and the fine on the other due to so much dirt in the air.

PEr

M600 has two motors with more combined power then the three sigmas, it also uses jet technology to balance and the reason there is a "suction" difference..
This is due to the clearances being different, this is also why a 1" main drain can stick the sigma, as it has a lower profile to the finish. The 600 is far more qualified to "remember" your pool and I have seen it learn to clean stairs/steps/benches as long as the robot's senser doest leave the water. The M600 is heavier and stronger due to lower gearing. Nothing else compares except the M700 but good luck finding it. As far as Hayward...waste of money, get a pump driven floppy first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.