North San Diego County
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Anyone know about how long the "ultra fine" filters last for them? I have had the M500 since late April or so. I've been using the ultra fine paper filters pretty much since the 1st week. The robot cleans everyday. I rinse them out everyday. I have started to notice the filters aren't quite as white as they used to be maybe even one of them leaning towards the yellow end of the spectrum. Robot stays in the pool all of the time other than when we swim.

Just curious how long you guys let them ride before replacing them? I am thinking at this rate I'd be replacing them like once year or so depending on how dirty the pool is on a regular basis. Thanks for the help in advance.

You can try soaking them in a solution of trisodium phosphate (TSP):

Dissolve a cup of TSP in a 5-gallon bucket of water and then soak the filters overnight. Remove and rinse (and dispose of the solution safely. WEAR GLOVES!!!

Reactions: the_sphynx
Just an update here. I didn't have any TSP available but I had some of the new formula of Spic-n-Span. It doesn't contain TSP anymore but I thought I would try it. I soaked the filters in the solution overnight and I can see that the yellow from the one that was showing its age is not nearly as yellow. The rest of them seem slightly whiter so that is good. I threw them back in the robot and it's cleaning now so we'll see how long it takes to return to that old condition.

I'll try to grab some TSP and try that next time too and maybe a slight brushing occasionally while in the solution to loosen things up.

Thanks for the help.

Is this a functional problem for the filters or just cosmetic?

If its simply cosmetic, personally, I would ignore the color and let the filters do their job within the confines of the robot where they're not seen.

Maddie :flower:

Well that's a rabbit hole of a response I suspect but for me I think it's a cosmetic thing. I assume the slight yellow tinge is a sign of some sort of deterioration but is it significant enough for the functionality to be affected...I suspect not at this stage. Was just trying to get ahead of it to maximize the life of the filter.

I had an M5 for 4 years, and now a M500 for 2. The fine pleated filters will not be completely white ever again. Just like you can never get a cartridge filter completely white. Soak them in TSP every few months, rinse them after every use and they will be just fine. They will last for years. They are just as effective off white, as they are brand new white.

Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it. Good to know these things will last a long while if I take care of them. Looks like I'll just continue to rinse them properly and maybe, if needed, toss them in some TSP for a good soak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.