Dolphin M500 bouyancy modification

Costas > DownUnder

Bronze Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Adelaide | Australia
Currently here in Aus we are just moving into spring.

My pool is relatively new and have only owned it over this winter.

I have been utilising an M500 for the last few months and it has always done a great job except for being able to make it over the perimeter ledge which is located approx. ¾ up my sidewalls.

Obviously I was not expecting it to climb onto steps etc but I had thought it may have been able to make it over the narrower perimeter ledge.

There has been some mention in various posts that water temp can affect the Dolphin's ability with respect to climbing and currently my water temp is around 10°C, so it is cold and therefore this may be impeding my M500's ability to drive over the ledge. Unfortunately I will have to wait for the warmer months (not too far away now... :) ) to verify this variable.

Last weekend I did play around with my M500's bouyancy by adding some polystyrene blocks into the main filter chambers.

It did not require much to give the M500 an added 'lift' so to speak. Too much polystyrene and the unit became too light and would not grip & traverse along the bottom of the pool correctly.

I ended up using some small strips (4 of them - 2 in each chamber) approx. 80mm long which fit into both filter chambers.

This was only a temporary setup to prove whether it would work or not.

So far it seemed to work reasonably well but I would like to spend some further time testing to reduce the polystyrene blocks as much as to maintain max traction when on the floor.

More than likely as the water temp heats up over the next month or two I may have to re-adjust the amount of added flotation required.

Just wondering if anyone else has played around with their Dolphins in a similar way...???

Quick and simple addition of some added floats:

VMBKmx.jpg

Tucked in just under both main lids - The lids hold them in place as a temporary solution for my tests.

8bTNHE.jpg

Quick video showing it climbing over one of my main solar heater intakes and then over the perimeter ledge.

Great hack! Glad you found a way to get it up and over the perimeter ledge. Does it get onto the stairs now too? My pool temp is now around 14 down from 30 while I wait for this leak to be fixed. I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference in Jeff’s performance. I notice your top of the range model has the cartridge filter/pleats and the smooth scrubbers. Do these give a better performance?

i did something similar to my m400. i cut up a pool noodle and used nylon ties to affix them under the existing floats. before, it wouldn’t climb high enough with the extra fine filters. now, no problem

Pool noodle material sounds like a good option... I'll try this in the future.

Does it get onto the stairs now too?

Yes...! It does climb the main steps as well as the seats/steps in the corners.

I notice your top of the range model has the cartridge filter/pleats and the smooth scrubbers. Do these give a better performance?

The pleated filters are a 'fine' filter which captures much finer material over the standard screen style filter.

The M500 comes with both styles of filters but I prefer the pleated filters as they capture a lot more fine dirt.

The smooth rollers are designed for slippery pool surfaces such as fibreglass - apparently they grip better.

i did something similar to my m400. i cut up a pool noodle and used nylon ties to affix them under the existing floats. before, it wouldn’t climb high enough with the extra fine filters. now, no problem

Do you have any pictures please? I think I might be ready to perform a mod to mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.