Dolphin Impeller Constantly Clogs With Hair

Could it be that the filters you were using are clogged up. Maybe not from visible debris. I always rinse my filters before they dry. Could your filters have dried out while dirty and now the only way for water and dirt/hair to move is through the sides of the filter and to the impeller. Hopefully, the new filters work better. Just remember to rinse them before they dry.
I always rinse them right away after I pull the robot out, always when wet

So here we go again, received the rough filter yesterday, cleaned the basket completely with removing all filters. I put the rough filter last evening and ran with it. Come to it this morning, red light unit will not start so back to disassembly and sure enough, hair on the impeller. Basket was clean nothing in it. So again everything is bypassing my basket. I need help.

Attachments

• 086B6E5B-61F5-4054-BC6F-C4BF4FFBC83F.jpeg
    086B6E5B-61F5-4054-BC6F-C4BF4FFBC83F.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 9E27BDE3-EBEE-44DA-B583-E8E63B9E9D75.jpeg
    9E27BDE3-EBEE-44DA-B583-E8E63B9E9D75.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 20
  • C5307FC9-81D8-4178-B753-CB93C163E816.jpeg
    C5307FC9-81D8-4178-B753-CB93C163E816.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 22
  • A2FD9DA7-711C-4D89-A1BF-773AFAC916FC.jpeg
    A2FD9DA7-711C-4D89-A1BF-773AFAC916FC.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 22
Is the hair from a pet?
Nothing was in the basket?
Even though that's a lot of hair on the impeller it doesn't seem like enough to cause a fault. I'd remove the impeller & see what's under it.
The hair is from people mostly, we have a dog but the dog hair is not long enough to wrap like that, the basket was pretty clean. I took the hair off the impeller and now it works and that is what maytronics told me last thing there was red light on it.

It seems to me that something isn’t sealing properly. If the top lid is not making a good seal against the top of the filter basket then all of the water will flow out of the top of the filter basket and to the pump completely bypassing the filter panels. I realize it’s not a specific diagnosis, but you might try visually seeing if everything is fitting together snugly and making a good seal.

Also, how much hair is in this pool?? Seems like quite a bit. Any chance you can manually vacuum a bit to get rid of the hair load? Also, you might try putting some small leaves or debris in the pool, something the robot can easily suck up to see if it’s getting caught in the basket.

Reactions: muzymarta
I think you should try a chemical clean on the pleated filters. The water is going to take the path of least resistance. The more the filters are clogged then more water will go around the edges of the filters. I'm not sure what the best chemical will be to clean the filters. Suggestions & concentrations anyone? Bleach, TSP, muriatic acid?

It seems to me that something isn’t sealing properly. If the top lid is not making a good seal against the top of the filter basket then all of the water will flow out of the top of the filter basket and to the pump completely bypassing the filter panels. I realize it’s not a specific diagnosis, but you might try visually seeing if everything is fitting together snugly and making a good seal.

Also, how much hair is in this pool?? Seems like quite a bit. Any chance you can manually vacuum a bit to get rid of the hair load? Also, you might try putting some small leaves or debris in the pool, something the robot can easily suck up to see if it’s getting caught in the basket.
I can't see any hair in my pool looks really clean, the robot will pick up leaves and they are trapped in the basket no problem with that. It looks like everything is sealed and fits the right way too.

I think you should try a chemical clean on the pleated filters. The water is going to take the path of least resistance. The more the filters are clogged then more water will go around the edges of the filters. I'm not sure what the best chemical will be to clean the filters. Suggestions & concentrations anyone? Bleach, TSP, muriatic acid?
Yes, how do I clean them? Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've always have had hair balls wrapped around the impeller on my S300i. The filter catches everything else it seems but the hair somehow gets pass the filters. I've always had the dual filters installed. Removing two screws is all it takes to get to the impeller and then one screw to remove the impeller is simple enough to get to the impeller but if I had to do it weekly that would drive me nuts.

I've always have had hair balls wrapped around the impeller on my S300i. The filter catches everything else it seems but the hair somehow gets pass the filters. I've always had the dual filters installed. Removing two screws is all it takes to get to the impeller and then one screw to remove the impeller is simple enough to get to the impeller but if I had to do it weekly that would drive me nuts.
Exactly, I don't mind doing it 1-2 times in a season, but this happens way too often.

it's more of a workaround than an actual resolution, but have you tried wrapping the outer filter basket (not the rough one) in skimmer socks? They may catch any hair that either gets through the filter or makes it between the corners if that's what is happening

that hair isn't going through that filter.... no way, no how. Not that much, constantly. Having followed this thread, I'd suggest attempting to exchange it for another and see if you get the same result. What they think of your 'reason for exchange' is a whole other story... I have a little girl and a dog that live in the pool - my polaris 280 picks up hair that we never see, but there must be a bunch of it, because emptying the bag doesn't lie. Why this isn't a bigger issue for others, if it's an actual issue at all and not a bad machine, is beyond me.

that hair isn't going through that filter.... no way, no how. Not that much, constantly. Having followed this thread, I'd suggest attempting to exchange it for another and see if you get the same result. What they think of your 'reason for exchange' is a whole other story... I have a little girl and a dog that live in the pool - my polaris 280 picks up hair that we never see, but there must be a bunch of it, because emptying the bag doesn't lie. Why this isn't a bigger issue for others, if it's an actual issue at all and not a bad machine, is beyond me.
Will try that option of taking it back to the store, at this point I tried everything and nothing is working.

muzy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she originally had this issue in June and one of the first things she did was have them send her a replacement filter box / filters and she kept having the same issue. If the problem is an imperfection in the shell casing or something like that, no amount of filter exchanges will resolve it. Maybe adding a layer of waterproof foam to the top of the filter box like a gasket?

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.