Dolphin Impeller Constantly Clogs With Hair

I took pictures of both my filters last night.. Both go in mine at the same time.. I also had some hair wrapped around the impeller, so it looks like that is a thing.. :)

1629974808564.png

1629974839656.png

1629974863059.png

Reactions: muzymarta
I took pictures of both my filters last night.. Both go in mine at the same time.. I also had some hair wrapped around the impeller, so it looks like that is a thing.. :)

View attachment 367461

View attachment 367462

View attachment 367463
hmm. I have to admit that's a little concerning to me. My wife, 2 kids, and I all have long hair. I'm old enough that I "shed" :) . We also have 2 dogs. They don't swim, but they spend hours every day near the pool and one is a Pomeranian. We're in the "super clean" season right now, but once the pollen and leaves pick up again I expect we'll run the robot at least once / day. I can tell you right now, there's no way I'm disassembling this thing to clean out the impeller on a weekly basis. I'm currently happy with my Active 20 (after 4 days lol), but If this really is a thing that kills it, I consider that a fundamental design flaw that will prevent me from buying any more Maytronics until it's resolved. I'll either try a Polaris if my research indicates it doesn't have a similar problem, or just buy cheap Chinese knockoffs that are more disposable. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I have an S200 with the fine filters and the Basket filter for large objects. I have 3 dogs, they all swim and the hair has never clogged the impeller. The basket allways catches 99% of the hair. I also use the Skimmer hair nets that help a lot.

That amount of hair is from over a month running daily.. My wifes hair comes out also but some gets into the skimmer, some into Ariel and some into the robot..

Matt, I have the Active 60 / M600, its a beast and man does it clean... between all 3 my pool is always clear of everything.. :)

View attachment 367461

View attachment 367462

View attachment 367463
Does you robot clean algae too? My pool gets really green and I need to scrub it a lot, which I haven't done at all the previous 4 years owning another robot, it was Aquabot and I loved it. I feel like the suction on the dolphin is not strong enough to get the green algae off.

The Active 60 / M600 is the only one with upgraded pumps and yes they work great.. As for Algae my pool has never been green in 8 years so I do not know about that..

• Haha
Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

View attachment 367461

View attachment 367462

View attachment 367463
Ok, so your design of the basket is much better looks like the filters are one piece, mine all filters are separate and looks like the hair is escaping on the side, I just discovered this. Definitely bad design on Maytronics. I just want to return that thing but was told is not returnable, I guess I’m stuck with it

Attachments

• A6ACEAA9-8913-4096-98AB-23D29683BD41.jpeg
    A6ACEAA9-8913-4096-98AB-23D29683BD41.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 29
  • AD8F479E-B69C-4907-A818-1F18BAE0F44B.jpeg
    AD8F479E-B69C-4907-A818-1F18BAE0F44B.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 28
  • CEE22EB5-DDA9-4596-BD71-CA8F3BAF135E.jpeg
    CEE22EB5-DDA9-4596-BD71-CA8F3BAF135E.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 9C54FF71-3550-436A-9C93-B6578A3146F7.jpeg
    9C54FF71-3550-436A-9C93-B6578A3146F7.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 26
  • BE2058FE-E75C-4907-9B5A-72E9BF87526A.jpeg
    BE2058FE-E75C-4907-9B5A-72E9BF87526A.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 68873FBB-46FB-49C8-802C-5D5C7A71958F.jpeg
    68873FBB-46FB-49C8-802C-5D5C7A71958F.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 28
If your pool has algae, then the fine pleated filters are going to load up with dead algae. That is going to cause the flow of water through the cleaner to be reduced to such a degree as dirt and hair will start to get sucked into and through the spaces between the filter panels. Once that happens, the hair will easily reach the impeller and clog it up. Your robot is actually working fine, what is not working fine is the whatever advice you have been given regarding pool care and algae. Algae in a pool is not inevitable nor should it be expected; it is the result of incorrect pool care that usually comes from incorrect testing and bad pool store advice. Once algae is present in a pool, it can cause all kinds of problems with filters and cleaners. The job of your filter and cleaner is to pick up dirt and debris. Their job is not to get rid of algae; that is the job of your sanitizer. And your sanitizer should be PREVENTING algae from ever forming in the first place.

I would suggest you read though TFP's Pool School and see if you agree with the philosophy of pool care that is taught. You may find that you've been given lot of bad advice when it comes to your pool and what you should expect from it ...

Ok, so your design of the basket is much better looks like the filters are one piece, mine all filters are separate and looks like the hair is escaping on the side, I just discovered this. Definitely bad design on Maytronics. I just want to return that thing but was told is not returnable, I guess I’m stuck with it
I think he has the upgraded basket that's normally only standard in higher-end models and allows 2 separate filters at the same time: the rough filter for leaves and big objects and the ultrafine filter for smaller things. Marina Pool and Spa will upgrade for free if you ask for it when buying from them. If you don't have that upgrade, or a model that comes with it standard, you have to make do with one at a time. It's generally suggested to use the rough filter when there's lots of leaves in the pool (it's also called the spring filter), and the ultra fine pleated one for normal use.

The specs for the T45 read as follows:

Filter TypeFine, Ultra Fine

Whereas something like the M600 reads:

Filter TypeMulti-Layer

so, all that is to say that I think you have a basic filter setup, not necessarily an improperly supplied one. I expect you can upgrade to the multi-layer by purchasing that inner basket. It looks to be about $60 on Amazon.

I think he has the upgraded basket that's normally only standard in higher-end models and allows 2 separate filters at the same time: the rough filter for leaves and big objects and the ultrafine filter for smaller things. Marina Pool and Spa will upgrade for free if you ask for it when buying from them. If you don't have that upgrade, or a model that comes with it standard, you have to make do with one at a time. It's generally suggested to use the rough filter when there's lots of leaves in the pool (it's also called the spring filter), and the ultra fine pleated one for normal use.

Filter TypeMulti-Layer

so, all that is to say that I think you have a basic filter setup, not necessarily an improperly supplied one. I expect you can upgrade to the multi-layer by purchasing that inner basket. It looks to be about $60 on Amazon.
I can certainly purchase that filter what’s another $60 on top of $1500 I paid for it. It was sold as high end model and I expected it to work. I had $700 robot for 4 years prior and never had an issue, only maintenance was to clean the basket and I didn’t have to buy any additional pieces for it to work. That insert should be included if they it is an issue.

Filter TypeMulti-Layer

Also the manual shows it that is included

Attachments

• 038B623E-A7A6-4E78-83F1-3F4B1D26FF06.png
    038B623E-A7A6-4E78-83F1-3F4B1D26FF06.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 4
Could it be that the filters you were using are clogged up. Maybe not from visible debris. I always rinse my filters before they dry. Could your filters have dried out while dirty and now the only way for water and dirt/hair to move is through the sides of the filter and to the impeller. Hopefully, the new filters work better. Just remember to rinse them before they dry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.