Dolphin Apollo tearing pool liner?

Dec 27, 2013
Hi, potentially dumb question alert. Last year we had a tear in the pool liner repaired. The guy who fixed it said the Dolphin caused the tear. The Dolphin is probably close to 10 years old, so I took his feedback at face value. That was at the end of the summer, so as we're approaching the spring I reached out to Maytronics to ask them what I can do, and they said they never heard of this being an issue. I certainly don't want to replace an otherwise perfectly functioning Dolphin based on the opinion of this one guy. Is what he's saying possible, and if so how do I find out, and is there an alternative (i.e. repair) rather than tossing and replacing it?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Andy

Andy,

I don't remember this as a problem here at TFP either.

Where was the tear?

I assume the liner is over 10 years old?

I'd just run it for an hour and watch it. It should be pretty obvious if it actually touching the liner other that with the tracks.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Hi, potentially dumb question alert. Last year we had a tear in the pool liner repaired. The guy who fixed it said the Dolphin caused the tear. The Dolphin is probably close to 10 years old, so I took his feedback at face value. That was at the end of the summer, so as we're approaching the spring I reached out to Maytronics to ask them what I can do, and they said they never heard of this being an issue. I certainly don't want to replace an otherwise perfectly functioning Dolphin based on the opinion of this one guy. Is what he's saying possible, and if so how do I find out, and is there an alternative (i.e. repair) rather than tossing and replacing it?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Andy

I did a quick search and found at least one member reporting their robot caused a bunch of pinholes in the liner. They reported they settled with Maytronics, including a new robot as part of the settlement. The member also reported the new robot has not had the same issue.

I did a quick search and found at least one member reporting their robot caused a bunch of pinholes in the liner. They reported they settled with Maytronics, including a new robot as part of the settlement. The member also reported the new robot has not had the same issue.
Interesting, thanks. I wonder how they were able to prove it to the level that Maytronics would settle with them.

Andy,

I don't remember this as a problem here at TFP either.

Where was the tear?

I assume the liner is over 10 years old?

I'd just run it for an hour and watch it. It should be pretty obvious if it actually touching the liner other that with the tracks.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, and yeah that's what I thought too - it's not sophisticated, if some other part was grazing the liner I should know it. Yes, the liner is over 10 years old too, which could be a factor. The tear was actually on the wall, and I believer there were 2 of them.

Andy,

Does your old Dolphin climb the walls and do the "tile line"?

The one thing I would watch out for is the robot sitting still in the same spot with the tracks and brushes running. I could see how that might be an issue with an old liner.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We have a dolphin and liner and never had an issue. If you had the dolphin that long I don't see why it would suddenly have an issue. I do agree on it getting hung up. Our dolphin gets hung up at times on the bottom drain.

Andy,

Does your old Dolphin climb the walls and do the "tile line"?

The one thing I would watch out for is the robot sitting still in the same spot with the tracks and brushes running. I could see how that might be an issue with an old liner.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes, it does climb the walls and do the tile line. Possibly it sits at that point a little longer than it "should", which makes sense that it could put pressure on an old liner. Although I'm not sure though what I can do about that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, and this is a very good idea, thanks. I may look around and see if I can find a service person.
Many have done it themselves in short order for little coin - there’s lots of YouTube videos out there as well.
You can give Marina a call if you’re not sure of what u need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.