Dolphin Active 30i review

No it's a 110 device with a standard plug at least for US sales. Unless you buy it in a different market with a different power unit. It's not universal like many cell phone chargers.
8f89302e6cb2750a59db4b05acaabe14.jpg

Hi All,

Pool newbie and robot newbie here! I just got a30i and noticed in the MyDolphin iPhone app that it always says there is a "technical issue, unknown error" with the robot. There is an exclamation point icon at the top of the app. It gives the option to reset the robot but it doesn't seem to do anything. Has anyone ever seen this issue?

Also I have run it maybe 6 times and have noticed that it never seems to cover the whole pool. It seems to want to linger in the deep end of a rectangular pool (~38x18'). I have also never seen it try to clean the stairs. Am I expecting too much? My is still a mess but thats a different story...

MyDolphin Robot Technical Issue.jpg

So here is a dumb question. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on S300i to replace the M5 I just had stolen. I like the concept of the single basket, and the lighter weight that will let the wife use it. The only thing that is holding my back is the cord without the swivel. I wonder if anyone has spoken to Maytronics and offered to pay a little extra to get a cord with a swivel. I would be that the cords on the new M series should work and the swivel is would probably be about $50 more. I would certainly be willing to pay a little extra to get the exact right robot.

I spoke with Dolphin rep about a year ago they will not recognize that there is a problem and try to tell you it is the way you are winding the cord up. Very poor customer service. Never had M5 to compare, but I like the basket in my 30i, it appears to be much easier to clean. If maytronics would listen to their customers and fix a few flaws it would really be a great unit.

As far as getting a swivel from the factory I'd be doubtful unless you had a hookup in Israel. I believe the S300i used to have a swivel in years past but I'm not 100% sure. You can buy a swivel cable online and put it on yourself but those retail $200+ depending where you shop. If anything if you're ordering from Marina you could ask them to quote an install on one for you before they ship it out. It's all the same connectors as the M500 so it's a plug and play install. I've done it already on an Active 20. Customer paid us for the part and the robot and we installed it for them.

I called Marina and asked about putting a swivel cable on the 30i. They basically said the same thing it will be around $200. I guess I was hoping that I could get a credit for the existing cable which is around $150, but no such luck. I suppose that I could just buy it the way it is and next year if I am too frustrated with the cord I could just change it then. In any case they don't have stock on the 30i for now so I get to agonize with my decision for a little while longer.

Anyone have problems with these units getting stuck on tall drains? I have two pentair drains and they are roughly 1.5" high in center and I wonder if the potential to get stuck is fairly high? I don't want to buy an Active and find out I should have paid up and bought the M series. I have an infloor system but we live in the country in a windy area with trees and looking for something to help with the system in place, or if it works well maybe make the bot the primary. I had no idea they could clean the walls and tile so I'm really intrigued. Any thoughts on drains I would appreciate. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rand18m,
Mine hangs up for 30-45 seconds occasionally if bottom drain is off, if on it can get stuck for a while so I do not run with bottom drain running. Not a big deal because I usually run at at night when not filtering. Check out this thread for a lot more info Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club .
Here is a response from "thebombardair" he is in the industry and is an answer to what new robot he personally would buy.
Of any new robot, it would depend on the pool (because I don't actually own a pool, my parents took down our 15' round 6 years ago). If there is a main drain/floor returns, definitely an M400 or M500. If not, I would go with an A20 or A30 depending on the size. Tigersharks tend to need complete drive rebuilds after all the bearings explode at 3-4 years, and Aquabots have had motors failing left and right lately, plus the Dolphin drivetrain is just better designed if you asked me as an engineering student.

He also pointed out a cover that will go over maindrain and it ramps up and down so it will not get caught, I will probably buy one next year.

I really like the ease of cleaning the big basket and always use both filters at the same time, I almost bought an M5 but chose the Active 30i. does a really good job, but I am sure the M5 will also do a good job just a little more hassle to clean and not sure which holds more, I also get a lot of dirt, bugs, worms and leaves almost every night and this really does a good job. Last year it helped tip me off to an algae bloom by seeing a little green in the fine filter, then when I looked closer the sparkle was gone and underwater visibility was not the entire length of pool. but a 1 day slam solved the problem.
This unit does have the problems I expressed above and if maytronics ever worked the kinks out it would be a great machine, need to combine the good features of this and the M5 and then add WIFI, the bluetooth stinks, I can get almost 100' distance on the Bluetooth of the pool light or speakers but can't get 15' with this and re-linking is a pain, so I assume it is just an inferior Bluetooth that they used and WIFI would be so much better. Also software still stinks, I upgraded to the latest one a month or so ago still pretty useless. The biggest gripe I have is the cord twists up, not real bad the first run but if you leave it for a few days it is pretty significant and I am convinced it alters the path which alters the coverage area. This is the only bot I ever had so no actual experience with the others, if I had to buy again, I would probably buy Active 20 at half the cost and go push the button, my only reservation is I can't have it run on timer during vacation, but if I were to run it in the ground as it stays in pool when people are not in the pool for the most part, it would be economical to replace. If they would fix the problems of the Active 30i or M5, I would buy them.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm in no hurry but after talking with Marina Pool (Margaret) she suggested either go with the A20 or the M400. Point being for the price of the 30i another $100 and could have the M4, from what I understand that would eliminate the worry about the being stuck on the drains. But spending a grand to only help the infloor is a hard pill to swallow, although as stated above the wall and waterline capability really has me intrigued.

I'm going to wait a bit and frankly the A20 would do all I need one to do, but knowing myself I bet I buy an M4 if I buy one.

Funny part is talking with Margaret she could see my old high school from her window at the store, small world!

If you have a shelf, the M4 would be good the active series do not have the floats and can not climb onto shelves, otherwise I would probably buy A20 because of ease of cleaning and price, you will be surprised how much dirt comes out even when the pool looks clean. I stopped vacuuming and brushing with this and had no problems this summer. If you get the A20 buy the optional course filter liner that comes with the A 30i, I have seen it for $50 bucks but found 1 for $21, makes cleaning faster and easier.
If you know someone that has one to borrow that would be great, I would like to see side by side comparisons reported.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.