Dolphin A30i shutting down w/ new swivel cable - is it the swivel?

Jul 25, 2017
Frisco TX
Hi - I have used a Dolphin A30i since 2017, love it. In May this year, noticed the cable was starting to shed fine blue rubber into pool, after 3 years of baking in Texas sun (and rubbing on pool rock coping during operation)
So, I ordered a replacement cable, decided to go with the Swivel version this time (Maytronics Dolphin 99958906-DIY Cable 18M with Swivel).

Since then, I have had issues. Unite shuts down sporadically. Earlier today, for instance, I powered on and it stayed on 5 sec before powering off. Tried again and the robot moved 3 ft then powered off. Then waited a few minutes, and tried agin and this time got around 30min of work across the pool and up the walls, but then shut down - certainly nothing close to the 2 hour cycle time.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot - the cable seems to be pushed into the swivel unit correctly on the bottom 'swivel' side...I am guessing the swivel unit itself is not supposed to be user-serviceable?

This is from Marina Pools, unit arrived 5 weeks ago so probably just out of return window. Dolphin has 1hr hold time for support so figured I would check with the TFP gurus first, especially since I know swivel/non-swivel was a hot topic back when I bought it (possibly for this same issue...but I thought maybe Maytronics had solved it in last 3yr!)

Any ideas appreciated, thanks. This is a $200 replacement part including a hundred-dollar premium for the swivel. If it is what is causing this I'd rather have the non-swivel version.

UPDATE: took unit apart, confirmed nothing in impeller. Back together and it ran for 40min, thought it was solved (!) but then shut down. Now cannot get it to start up at all - turn power on at carrier and it goes blue, but as soon as cycle starts the power turns off.

Last edited:
Hi - I have used a Dolphin A30i since 2017, love it. In May this year, noticed the cable was starting to shed fine blue rubber into pool, after 3 years of baking in Texas sun (and rubbing on pool rock coping during operation)
So, I ordered a replacement cable, decided to go with the Swivel version this time (Maytronics Dolphin 99958906-DIY Cable 18M with Swivel).

Since then, I have had issues. Unite shuts down sporadically. Earlier today, for instance, I powered on and it stayed on 5 sec before powering off. Tried again and the robot moved 3 ft then powered off. Then waited a few minutes, and tried agin and this time got around 30min of work across the pool and up the walls, but then shut down - certainly nothing close to the 2 hour cycle time.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot - the cable seems to be pushed into the swivel unit correctly on the bottom 'swivel' side...I am guessing the swivel unit itself is not supposed to be user-serviceable?

This is from Marina Pools, unit arrived 5 weeks ago so probably just out of return window. Dolphin has 1hr hold time for support so figured I would check with the TFP gurus first, especially since I know swivel/non-swivel was a hot topic back when I bought it (possibly for this same issue...but I thought maybe Maytronics had solved it in last 3yr!)

Any ideas appreciated, thanks. This is a $200 replacement part including a hundred-dollar premium for the swivel. If it is what is causing this I'd rather have the non-swivel version.

UPDATE: took unit apart, confirmed nothing in impeller. Back together and it ran for 40min, thought it was solved (!) but then shut down. Now cannot get it to start up at all - turn power on at carrier and it goes blue, but as soon as cycle starts the power turns off.
I have the same cleaner with the swivel in cord. My husband just removed the swivel. It was fried. He is a EE by degree so, depending on your electrical experience, you might want to do that too. If I am buying a new cord, I'm going without the swivel. My cleaner is only a couple years old.

Thanks for the info; the cable + swivel in this case are just 5 weeks old so I would hope the swivel is not fried but who knows. Perhaps both our experiences can serve to warn others here to BUY THE NON-SWIVEL if given the choice (albeit with the hassle of detangling it every so often)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.