Doing waaaaaayyy to much acid

It’s super easy once you get the hang of it. You’ll get there in no time. Start with the articles listed above. You will need to download the pool math app. PoolMath
You will need to enter in how many gallons your pool is, if you don’t know there are calculators that will get you in the ball park. If you use one of the recommended test kits you just enter those results into the app and it will tell you what to add. Pretty simple. We can advise on pretty much anything, but we need to know what equipment you have, your pool type (fiber glass, plaster or vinyl), and your test results using one of the kits we know are accurate. If none of your stores don’t supply liquid chlorine, no problem. All liquid chlorine is is plain bleach at a higher concentration. “Bleach” is usually around 6-7 1/2% while “chlorine” is usually 10 to 12%. You just need to make sure the bleach doesn’t have any additives, don’t use scented or splashless and don’t use Clorox brand bleach as they always like to use additives. It’s just more expensive to use bleach is all as you typically get a lower concentration for more money. Other than chlorine using TFP you’re usually only ever going to use muriatic acid, cyanuric acid (aka stabilizer, CYA) and baking soda on occasion. If you have a plaster or fiberglass pool you’ll also need to worry about calcium levels. If you buy a saltwater generator to chlorinate your pool, it gets really easy at that point. I have a salt water generator, follow TFP and have had no problems at all. And I only spent around $45.00 in pool chemicals for the entire summer. Your going to get the hang of it in no time, and your not going to go broke or pull out your hair once you get your pool under control. Sounds like your inheriting a pool that has who knows what dumped into it, that’s the only thing that’s going to give you a hiccup. When I bought my house with a pool, I had to have the liner replaced which meant drain and refill anyway. Don’t be surprised if you wind up having to drain a good amount, depending on what your tests shows, but after that it will be easy.

Reactions: jesse-99
Stillwater Lowes shows Pool Essentials liquid chlorine in stock - Aisle 1, Bay 5.

Have you checked at Tractor Supply on south Perkins?
Google - Stillwater OK pool supply - and check with those results
Also, look around for janatorial suppliers or powerwash companies.

As for PoolWerx - or any other pool supply for that matter - don't go in there looking for advice. Go in and ask for exactly what you want - liquid chlorine in this case - and don't get caught up in their rhetoric.
You - " Do you have liquid chlorine?"
Them - " Blah, blah, blah."
You - " Do you have it or not? If you do, do you want to sell it to me or not?"
No discussion of why you need it or what you are using it for.

In your travels, shop around for best price.

Last edited:
As I posted earlier Lowes doesn't have any in stock. I know I can order chems but I need to fix the pool asap. I am not stuck on the use of the chems that we are currently using. The previous maintainer was who purchased and used most the chemicals I currently have. I am not stuck to using any of the chems and don't have any pre-existing preferences so I am open to try anything.
A lot of times you need to go look in the section where they keep salt. I get them all the time saying they don’t have stuff and then I go in and find it right on the shelf. Sadly I guess it’s easier for some employees to say “we don’t have it” then actually go check if they already do.

Sometimes it’s called “pool shock”.

Hey, you live in the Woodlands? My mom lives by the woodlands mall, and I used to live in Sugarland. Back in Oklahoma now though. So Stillwater Oklahoma is not exactly the pool chem supply station for Oklahoma. There is 1 store dedicated to pools and spas, otherwise it is Walmart here I come. None of the stores in town sell liquid chlorine, heck I have trouble getting all my chems at times. But I am talking to ECOlab people about supplying us with the chems we need so hopefully they have it. I am testing using a normal liquid pool test kit. I test for Free Cl, Total Cl, PH, Alkalinity, Cya, CA Hardness. I test for salt using Aquachek dip sticks.
Formerly 28 years in hospitality….I’ve used Ecolab a lot. They have some good products for specific applications but you will pay a premium for them. If you’re warewashing or dealing with janitorial supply items by all means look into them, but be ready to pay a premium.

They won’t do you any favors with their pool care chems. It’s ultra premium priced repackaged pool store potions for legitimate products you can find for cheaper everywhere else. As far as taking their advice on pool care? I’ve fired several of their reps from commercial pools that I’ve taken over because their knowledge of actual pool care runs about as deep as a soiled diaper from a 3 month old infant. Their gig is to charge you a monthly premium while throwing previously said potions in your pool without any care or idea as to why they may be needed, except that it makes them money….Run away….don’t walk….run. The collective knowledge here will get you much farther, must faster, with a lot less cost and headache.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Your K-2005 test kit is missing the most important element to test FC and CC at higher levels than you can get with that silly block color comparitor block (the one you use for pH testing too).
Order this pronto--> FAS/DPD Chlorine Test Kit

When you get that FAS-DPD test kit it will make your current K-2005 kit equivalent to the recommended kits.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There is a ton of help and info to help get you on the right track. Add the FAS-DPD test like has been suggested to your test kit…it will be how you measure FC (free chlorine). Get familiar with the FC/CYA chart…it will help you know where your FC should be (always stay a couple ppm above minimum for a cushion). Download the Pool Math app…it will help you keep track of not only your logs but guide you on how much of what you need to add to correct something.

MA (Muriatic Acid) is used to LOWER pH (and will lower TA at smaller amounts). You want you pH to stay in the 7’s and only lower it when it gets to 7.8 and only lower to like 7.2. If you are in the 6’s you are too low & need to let it rise (can use aeration to raise pH without raising TA).

The two main things you will need are liquid chlorine (or plain bleach) and MA. You said you are having a hard time finding stuff local so you could always order online and have it delivered…even Walmart has liquid chlorine available for delivery…does not have to be in store as long as available online to be delivered. You could use Amazon (but it usually more expensive) and have them do the auto-ship you said you wanted.

Do not add in anything else unless you are really educated about what it does & how it will affect your pool (and not the sales hype)…especially when it comes to the TFP method, which is really simple and that strange stuff messes simple up big time.

Hang in there! It can seem like a lot to learn and absorb but definitely gets easier! Keep it simple by not adding stuff that very much complicates what you are trying to do & often sabotages you. Trying to scuba dive using the principles of sky diving is a disaster hehe…so if trying to do the TFP method, stick with TFP & not mix in other methods.

Welcome to the TFP fam & you got this!!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
As I posted earlier Lowes doesn't have any in stock. I know I can order chems but I need to fix the pool asap. I am not stuck on the use of the chems that we are currently using. The previous maintainer was who purchased and used most the chemicals I currently have. I am not stuck to using any of the chems and don't have any pre-existing preferences so I am open to try anything.
Maybe try calling this place...
1664566945285.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.