Doing the Shock Slam Method after opening up a swamp. Can I use a different form of chlorination?

rdelisa

Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Arvada
I have already gone through 8 - 81oz containers of 7.5% liquid bleach. It is hard to find bigger jugs of chlorine these days.
I only have a couple of left. Can I start using Cal-Hypo or is there danger in mixing? I have about 6 packets of Cal-Hypo.
The pool is starting to clear, but every 30 minutes shows barely any chlorine left. My SWG is on full blast.

Also, I got a little desperate and added 4oz of algaecide. It is foaming up the pool like crazy (probably non polquat-60 there was no indication on the bottle), but the water seems to be turning from green to blue and I can actually see the bottom in sections.

So, two questions:
1. was the algaecide a bad idea?
2. Is it okay to start adding the packets of Cal-Hypo for the next chlorine application?
Generally, my pool needs calcium, so I'm not concerned about the calcium getting too high.

What specific algaecide did you add?

Cal hypo is slow to dissolve and get an accurate FC dose. It will not work as well as liquid chlorine and probably take longer to clear.

What specific algaecide did you add?

Cal hypo is slow to dissolve and get an accurate FC dose. It will not work as well as liquid chlorine and probably take longer to clear.
Have no idea. It was at Walmart. I think their HTH brand. I have gotten it before and got lucky and found it was a good, non-foaming, polyquat-60 brand. Not true with this one, but it seems to be working-out okay.
I think the algaecide just needed something to do. I brushed the algae off the steps and sides of the pool and the foam began dissipating. It's about all gone now.
I ran out out of liquid bleach and have added a couple of bags of Cal-Hypo for the night. Things are looking much better. Chlorine level is starting to hold for more than an hour at a time now and the green is turning blue. I'll get some more liquid bleach in the morning.

So, I am not really sure what you are trying to do.....clear your pool?

If so, the proper way to do that is to SLAM your pool. The SLAM article must be followed precisely and there is no allowance in the SLAM for Algaecide or Tabs or SWG's for that matter.

TFP uses the SLAM as a very precise way to get your pool clear and keep it clear but the potocol must be followed exactly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.