Doheny's pumps any good?

v8fieromatt

Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2019
Ramona, OK
Hey guys, I've been researching some different equipment now to upgrade over the winter. I'm thinking 2 speed pump and either a larger sand filter or cartridge CCP520. I've tried searching this site and the internet in general about Doheny's pumps. It seems that everyone likes their robots and chemicals but I can't find anything about their pumps.

Does anyone have experience with them? looking at this one specifically: Doheny's 2-Speed Pool Pump, 220V, 1.5 HP
Is it a copy of one of the big name brands or did they develop it themselves? Worth messing with or just save up for a name brand one?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those pumps are private branded under several names (Harris comes to mind) and they're pretty good pumps. No better nor worse than the major brands.

Now I have a couple of comments.
1) Do you really need a 1½ hp pump? I think the 1 hp would be plenty big. If you plan on running it on low 90% of the time, then the 1½ hp will be fine.
2) If you think you need 1½ hp you might want to look at variable speed pumps. The Harris variable speed model is only a few dollars more than the 2-speed. It's a knockoff of the Hayward Super Pump VS.

Thanks for the reply! Glad to head the Doheny pumps are ok to use, it’s weird how few reviews there are on it.

So basic answer is uhh. I don’t really know. I’m been looking at flow rates and reading about fluid dynamics until I can’t see straight. I am just now finishing up the pool and I’m still running on a pump and filter I got off Craigslist for 100 bucks, it’s and above ground Hayward that’s 1.5 SPL rated. It’s says 70 gpm on it but that seems pretty optimistic to me.
I have it setup for 2 returns and 2 skimmers on opposite ends with 1.5 inch pvc to each, then it’s going to be 2 inch from the 3 way valves to the pump and then from the pump to filter and back to other 3 way. Hope that makes sense. I will be installing a Pentair ccp520 and some swc in the future. And a building to cover it all.
It’s on a pallet because it’s temporary and that makes it easy to move with the skid loader.
I have an extra line that’s going to be for the slide or any fountain or waterfall in the future.
The Harris vs seems like a good option, or there’s a new Pentair IntelliFlo on Craigslist for 625 if I decide to spend that much..
DF0E9104-FEFF-49C6-BDA5-4D0651D34985.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.