Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I'm curious, have you tried using the latest App version? Given the age of your unit, the App has been updated at least twice. I'm also curious if running it in floor-only mode would be better. While wall climbing is a nice feature, it's really not that necessary in a clean swimming pool. It's much more important to get the debris at the bottom of the pool then to scrub the walls.

Killer95Stang - Thanks for your post and all who commented on this thread.

I purchased my home with a pool and moved in last summer. I quickly found the pool was not energy efficient after the first power bill. I determined that my pool pump and existing zodiac suction side cleaner needed a new solution. With the help of the equipment forum, I purchased a Pentair variable speed pump and I'm awaiting install as I learned the warranty is no good unless installed by a Pentair certified technician. The good news is I anticipate an 80% reduction in power usage with the pump. Unfortunately I didn't see your post and went through the robotic cleaner research. Key factors were the Maytronics 70% market presence and technology leadership, power stream and cleaver clean tech, modular design/ low maintenance cost, and debris storage/access. I purchased the Discovery/S200 from Doheny's as well. $649 was an excellent price point, but they charged me $699. Regardless, there is no question that I will likely see a 95% or better power reduction for pool cleaning.

So I received my Dolphin Discovery yesterday, read through the Maytronics quick start guide, placed it into the pool and turned it on. After two hours I returned and the Discovery was still working. Based on online videos I watched during my research, I was anticipating that the Discovery would stop and come to the surface when done. Instead it just stopped and turned itself off. I did not want to pull on the cable to retrieve it, but had no choice. So I very carefully pulled it to the surface until I could reach the handle to pull it out of the water. When I looked into the basket, I was amazed at the amount of debris collected. The deep end of the pool has likely never had a thorough scrubbing like this. The removal of sediment, chemical residue, leaves, and bugs especially in the deep end, should release some of the burden on the pool filtration system.

I went online to the Maytronics website to see if I could get answers to my questions. I found a helpful interactive version of the users manual at manuals.maytronics.com that owners may find helpful. Just input your units serial number or the Dolphin Discovery model number (99996201-DIS) to get to the users manual. Clear guidance is provided on operation and basic maintenance, which also answered my questions.

This morning the pool water is sparkling clear. I tested the water and found an increase in total chlorine went from 1 to 3 ppm. Nothing changed from a week ago except the removal of debris from the pool yesterday. Somehow the chlorine generator is doing a better job, or it's just that the pool is rid of bio mass.

Overall, so far I'm pleased with the performance of my Dolphin Discovery. My objective of energy efficient, high quality cleaning with affordable price and total cost of ownership has been achieved. Experiencing Maytronics customer support via their website confirms their commitment to customer service. The Maytronics customer relations management system front end provides an excellent customer experience and a means to efficiently communicate throughout the equipment life cycle.

Thanks again for your post and all the comments with this thread.

I'm curious, have you tried using the latest App version? Given the age of your unit, the App has been updated at least twice. I'm also curious if running it in floor-only mode would be better. While wall climbing is a nice feature, it's really not that necessary in a clean swimming pool. It's much more important to get the debris at the bottom of the pool then to scrub the walls.

I have not tried the app after my initial trails to get customer service which really addressed none of my concerns as mentioned above, I have not messed with the app since, but perhaps I should update and take a second look. While I was messing with it, I did try floor only but I do want the walls done as I brush very little because I think the robot does a better job, but unless the timer function allows 2 events I probably won't change, unless by using the different drain cover suggested it does the job in one pass. I can do everything manually much faster as it takes 30 sec for the phone to pair and respond once I get next to it.
Here is what I am doing presently, I have the bottom drain off, pump operates 8 am - 8 pm. When done swimming for the day the robot goes into the pool and is turned on manually by hitting the button while putting on solar cover, verify it is moving, if it is off before I go to bed I try and go out and hit the button again and test pool add chlorine if necessary , it only takes a second to hit button as opposed to use app because I have to be standing right next to it to link and that takes at least 30 sec. sometimes longer. When I wake up I go out test pool again, add if needed and hit the button again. When we are ready to swim we take off cover stop robot and remove and clean and put back inside on the caddy. If we do not swim that day robot stays in pool and I start it when I go out to test for evening.

Ideally I would like to program it to run at 11 pm and 2 am. that way it would still be providing circulation along with cleaning during the night.

Thanks again good idea to revisit.

The latest version of the app connects a lot faster.

It's just my opinion but the cleanliness of the floor matters more than the walls getting brushed. I would run floor-only mode more often than floor+wall mode if it meant my floor got thoroughly cleaned. Most people rarely ever brush daily (pools and teeth are similar in that way) so walls getting scrubbed twice or three time per week by a robot is more than most pools will ever experience.

So I talked to my contact at Maytronics. He said it's kind of a industry secret how exactly how the My Dolphin app differentiates units but it's more or less a cloud registry of serial numbers, even he doesn't know exactly how it works. However, motor swaps involve also notifying Maytronics that your motor was replaced if you have issues with the app.

Also, JoyfulNoise, I'm with you on walls vs floor cleaning. You know how often commercial cleaners hit the walls? Never. Some even have infrared sensors to tell them when they hit a wall so they can reverse. The whole reason the cleaners even went on the walls in the first place is for navigation around the pool. In the days before water jets and dual drive motors, the only way robots had to navigate around the pool was to scurry along the waterline and come down in a different spot of the pool.

Hmm OK. Wonder what happens if the app doesn't have internet access. If I get the opportunity to swap a 3 wire cable onto my bot I will try it and see what happens.

If I had to guess, there's likely a hash key of the motor serial number and your registration number stored on the device when you first download the app and register the robot (there's an email process for registering the robot). Once stored locally, the App can then easily tell if the bot you are communicating with is owned by you. No need to use the internet to check anything as the authentication is all stored locally but encrypted against hacking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JoyfulNoise and thebombardier,

Thank you, great info and suggestions, this forum is great thanks to posters like you. I will revisit and try the app again and on floor only mode when I get a chance. Also want to change the bottom drain cover to see if I can stop the robot from hanging up as bombardier suggested. That could be the reason it does not get all the spots in the pool on 1 cycle.

Alright, following up on some posts I made back around post #550.

I am now really thinking more about getting a robot. Been putting off replacing my PB4-60 booster pump shaft seal for quite some time. Did it yesterday, to only find that it is leaking now worse at the shaft seal than before. Thus, I have to investigate further if it needs an impeller, booster pump shaft seal bracket, etc., etc. Also, found that the motor shaft is a little rusty. All-in-all, it may need a need a new motor if going the route of changing the impeller, etc., won't fix the problem. And, if I replace the motor, the better fix would be to just buy a new PB4-60 booster pump. But, that is $255 towards what could be a Doheny.

So, that is where I came back to this thread and got thinking now may be the time to upgrade. But, upgrade to what/which one? I will take some pics to follow of my situation/needs. I saw thread #666 (go figure it was that numbered thread ;)) which tried to ID the models. What I need is the model I can plop in the water, leave it, and deal with it as little as possible during the week. I only deal with emptying my Polaris 280 bag maybe every 1-2 weeks. Thus, I really don't want a model that will need more attention than 1/week. I am assuming that due to the great level of cleaning these provide that maybe they need more attention on a weekly basis in order to empty the bag/debris area and clean/wash out the filter. Is that right?

PoolDv, in the posts around #550ish, you mentioned the cord tangle is not an issue. Is that model specific? I see that some models have a tangle reducing swivel, and some don't.

So far, I am clicked on the links for the:
Dolphin Active 20 refurb
Dolphin Active 20 - Refurbished

The #1 Amazon rated pool robotic cleaner Dolphin 99996403-PC Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner:
https://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-99996403-PC-Nautilus-Robotic-Cleaner/dp/B00Q8M0NWE/ref=pd_sbs_86_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00Q8M0NWE&pd_rd_r=JTSRVW848MGHPN2TV8ZH&pd_rd_w=kEl83&pd_rd_wg=ZSJ8y&psc=1&refRID=JTSRVW848MGHPN2TV8ZH

And the new 2017 model. But, I really really really don't like its price: 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
https://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-Premier-Robotic-Ground-Cleaner/dp/B01BP8PLMM/ref=zg_bs_1272979011_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7FSPHDFM7E6133GTE8QN
I only looked at this quickly and included it b/c it touts a new anti-swivel, etc. etc.

I would probably store my in the garage (hopefully someday I get our dang garage organized rather than just plopping down the Doheny somewhere). Not sure if I need/should get a caddy. These threads here discuss something about the controller and sun avoidance. What controller? Not sure what that refers to.

More posts to follow I'm sure.

Because I am going to be seeking people's input and recommendations, posting pictures of my setup/needs, etc., I am thinking I should create my own post. Moderators, what do you think? Should I seek input on Doheny's here or in my own thread?

I'm a fan of the caddy. It means not lugging the unit around by hand (and back aches). It means having a place to hang the power supply /controller. It means having a convenient place to roll the cord up on and not look sloppy.

This is my S300i resting after a hard day in the pool -

2110e0af144485780404b151737e22c0.jpg

FYI - Cord management is key to a robots performance. You absolutely can not tightly coil these cords or wrap them up like you would a cheap extension cord. Doing so will put irreparable twists in the cable and cause them to coil up in the pool thus interfering with the robots operation. The cords are $200 to replace so being nice to it will save you lots of headaches.

So I have narrowed it to the Dolphin Active 20 refurbished $599 (Dolphin Active 20 - Refurbished) [which I found is Part # R99996203-us] vs. the Dolphin 99996403-PC Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8M0NWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AXU0Z02202XDD&psc=1) [which I found is part 99996403-PZ], but are these the same models?

I called Pool Partz to find out what the refurb model uses for anti-tangle. The rep did not know. Does that have a swivel? The rep told me the Nautilus is the newer model and has better sensing to reduce cord tangles. Not sure if he is correct, but can anyone chime in here?

Last edited:
They are not. The Nautilus plus uses 2 smaller cartridges (same as the M400 and M500), whereas the Active 20 has one large filter basket. The Active 20 is also slightly more maneuverable than the Nautilus Plus.

The Nautilus Plus has a swivel cable for anti tangle, as it is a Diagnostic (single drive motor) type unit without water jet vectoring.

The Active 20 does not have a swivel cable, but does have water jet vectoring, so barring a computer malfunction or getting caught on something it will make the same number of clockwise and anti-clockwise turns to prevent cable tangling.

Beyond that, as JoyfulNoise said, keeping the cable straight with both units also relies on you properly wrapping it over-under method in big arm length loops to prevent kinking and tangling.

Hello all,

I am having a fiberglass pool installed next month and it won't have an extra pump to run a pool sweep. After exploring my options, a robot was the obvious choice. Considering the price of these things, I did substantial research! This thread was extremely helpful in making the decision to go with the Dolphin S200 from Marina Pool Spa and Patio. I just wanted to say thanks!

thebombardier, great feedback/breakdown. That really helps.

After your post, I watched a video at Amazon about the Nautilus Plus, it shows the filter/baskets. Is that it? Just the 2 in the front? Then that is tiny. It won't hold that much debris at all and will easily fill up it seems like even prior to the cycle end time. I can't imagine how that can clean the entire pool in one cycle w/ such small filter baskets.

If the Active 20, S200, Discovery (whatever name it goes by) has one large filter basket, seems that is much smarter. Guess I just need to see the size of it though. Sounds like the water jet vectoring helps avoid the need for a swivel. Anybody have any problems with purchasing a refurb'ed model from Pool Partz (Dolphin Active 20 - Refurbished). Unit still working? I like the $ but would be nervous given its refurb'ed status.

No the Nautilus Plus has two of those dual filter cartridges. One is in the front, and the other is under the black panel near the handle. Overall the Nautilus Plus and A20 have about the same filtration capacity.

The only issue I'd have buying refurbed is any warranty is through the seller, not Maytronics. Technically they're not supposed to sell the A20 online but refurbed robots are a loophole, but Maytronics still doesn't deal with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.