Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

After owning the S200 I wish I had the quick-clean feature of the S300/S300i.

There are many times that I want to just have it go around the floor again and get stuff it missed and that quick feature would be great for that.

My booster pump for my side suction Polaris died, with no hope of revival. The new 30% more efficient pump is $400. Looking at a robotic cleaner as a replacement. Don't want to go too cheap and loose out on simple but seemingly important features like a swivel cord, the right brushes, climbing and deflecting ability. I watched the 2017 S200 video. Was not impressed at all with ability to pick up debris around the main drain, and I was left with the feeling I'd have to keep an electric cord across my pool deck all the time or lug this in and out...just seems like a lot of babysitting for a cleaner. What about having a power cord out in the rain? I'm used to keeping my cleaner in the pool unless we're having high volume, and it's already programmed to run at specific times from my jandy pool remote. Looking for real owner impressions/counters to my observations.

My booster pump for my side suction Polaris died, with no hope of revival. The new 30% more efficient pump is $400. Looking at a robotic cleaner as a replacement. Don't want to go too cheap and loose out on simple but seemingly important features like a swivel cord, the right brushes, climbing and deflecting ability. I watched the 2017 S200 video. Was not impressed at all with ability to pick up debris around the main drain, and I was left with the feeling I'd have to keep an electric cord across my pool deck all the time or lug this in and out...just seems like a lot of babysitting for a cleaner. What about having a power cord out in the rain? I'm used to keeping my cleaner in the pool unless we're having high volume, and it's already programmed to run at specific times from my jandy pool remote. Looking for real owner impressions/counters to my observations.

I have had my pool for about 5 years now and most of that time was using a manual pool vac. Last year I got a Zodiac MX6 suction cleaner. I just bought a Dolphin Active 20 and received it last week, so I don't have a long history with it, but I'll give you my thoughts.

First, a little background.

For our pool, we didn't want to leave a pool cleaner in all of the time nor did we want an in floor cleaning system. So for the first 4 years or so I would either sweep the pool or manually vacuum it on Saturdays, depending on how dirty it was and how much time I had. During the winter, I would do it maybe monthly, as it didn't get that dirty and we weren't swimming in it. I got tired of doing that so I figured I would buy a suction cleaner and see how that worked.

For the last year, I've used the suction cleaner a few times but it was such a hassle setting up the hoses, getting water out of the line, and readjusting my valves to get it just right. And then my pump seemed to have too much air in it for some reason. I'm not sure if there was a leak in the hoses, but it did it from day one while it was brand new. And then when it was done, I would have to reverse the process, pulling the hoses out, unhooking them all, resetting my valves, clearing out my pump basket, etc. It all became too much, so I would mostly just use my manual vac because it would clean the pool better and I wouldn't have to run my pump so long to get full coverage of the pool. I recently tried leaving the MX6 in the pool all of the time, and while it took care of the setup and tear down hassle, it was an issue when the kids would swim and I would have to pull it out. I was also concerned about my pump having so much air in it that I was going to damage it so I decided to bite the bullet and get my first robot.

Enter the A20. I love it. For our use case, it works perfectly. I was never going to leave any type of cleaner in the pool full time, so I knew going in that I was going to have set up and tear down after each cleaning. The robot is much easier compared to the hoses and valve adjustments of the MX6 or manual vac. Plus, it cleans so much better. It's not an exaggeration to say my pool has never had such a clean floor. Now, after a run, I can take my broom and sweep across the pool and.... nothing. Just some air bubbles. No residual dirt or gunk. It's fantastic! Doing the same thing after the MX6 or manual vac still had little clouds of dirt left over. I also like that everything vacuumed up is in the robot, not in my pump basket or DE filter. It will make my filter backwashes that much less frequent and easier.

So for you, wanting to leave in the pool full time, I can see that a cord running across your deck would be annoying. It would be for me, too. I will say the robot will probably clean your pool better than any other type of cleaner, but it does require a different set of use cases and annoyances to work around. The cord can be left out in the rain (not the main control unit) as it's insulated and designed for going into the pool. The robot uses far less electricity because it doesn't require the use of the main pump and can run completely independent of your pump schedule. You could think about just using it once or twice a week as needed instead of leaving in the pool all of the time. Once you see how well it cleans each time, there isn't much left for it to clean the next day unless you have a storm or a lot of stuff blow in to the pool.

Hope this gives you some helpful info. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the feedback on the A20 Bacevedo, I'll definitely research this one too. I will note that I had none of those hassles as you did with the side suction unit. It was plug and play and I never gave the pool cleaning a second thought with it. I do admit having to brush the sides from time to time, which is a pain on the back rock wall with all of the foliage and palm fronds hanging down and a waterfall in between. To clarify, my concern is leaving the main control unit out in the rain and the connection to the power supply. My A/C plug area does not have an overhead cover.

Thoughts from anyone else regarding my OP.

Thank you Manny for the in the field feedback. And after a bit more research on Maytronics site, seems robotic cleaners really take a lot of babysitting. #1 complaint is still the lack of the swivel, and I looked at all high end models. I see you have the A30i. When I did the Maytronics comparison, I could not see a difference between the 300i, a30i or T55i. Why did you choose the A30i and do you know what makes the 3 models referenced above different?

We purchased our S200 model about 2 months ago, it has a swivel on the power cord. It works fair to well most of the time. Sometimes I do have to straighten it out when I extract Bob from the pool , easy enough to do as you pull him out gently. Our pool is HUGE 20 x 50 and it takes 2 runs to get it all clean. Bob does a great job, zero complaints. We do not have any leaves to speak of but we do get grit and fine sand transported from the winds (we're on 5 acres). One of the best investments we've made. Wife unit and I are very happy and it's made pool maintenance much easier.
Here are some picture of a PVC carrier I made so the brushes don't get bent when he's out of the water. An old T shirt fits over the pipes to prevent sunburn and plastic discoloration.
Ron

Attachments

• Bob house 1.jpg
    Bob house 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Bob house 2.jpg
    Bob house 2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 214
We purchased our S200 model about 2 months ago, it has a swivel on the power cord. It works fair to well most of the time. Sometimes I do have to straighten it out when I extract Bob from the pool , easy enough to do as you pull him out gently. Our pool is HUGE 20 x 50 and it takes 2 runs to get it all clean. Bob does a great job, zero complaints. We do not have any leaves to speak of but we do get grit and fine sand transported from the winds (we're on 5 acres). One of the best investments we've made. Wife unit and I are very happy and it's made pool maintenance much easier.
Here are some picture of a PVC carrier I made so the brushes don't get bent when he's out of the water. An old T shirt fits over the pipes to prevent sunburn and plastic discoloration.
Ron

Nicely done. looks like you successfully saved $100 :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are concerned about the power supply getting wet.. think of it as an Iphone 7.. Splash proof, but not submersible. If you are still worried, then buy a small tupperware style box and make ventilation holes under the lip of the lid. Put the power supply in after you make a hole for the cord. That should keep the control unit nice and dry.

Personally, I keep it plugged in 24/7 with a plastic cover over it in an elevated position on the equipment pad. When I store the robot, I unscrew the cord, wrap it around the robot and throw it the deck box next to the pool. I can take the robot out of the pool, clean the filters and store it in the deck box in less than 5 minutes. I can't think of anything easier than that. My prior MX8 suction cleaner was horrible at cleaning and took way longer to setup each time I wanted to use.

Like I said before... Robots cleaners aren't for everyone... that is why pressure side cleaners and suction side cleaners are still made. Usually intended for Green pools serviced by the local pool man and loaded with Chlorine Tabs and high CYA...

I just ordered a S200 from marina yesterday, Im still under construction for a while but were using the pool. I only rly get dust and small dirt in the seams of the transition from shallow to deep and around the deep end hopper. How are the robots when it comes to cleaning in the seams of a liner pool? all videos I see are concrete pools with smooth roundness to their angles

After having my s200 for almost exactly 1 year it malfunctioned where it would move forward about 1 foot then stop. I did not have any luck with the maytronics online portal for RMA assistance and was not blown away by their telephone service either, but eventually got my return authorization. After sending it in on my dime ($50) it was diagnosed as a bad motor and repaired. I received the repaired unit back 3 days after it arrived at the repair facility, so it was a quick turn-around time. Reading over this thread it seems that this is an outlier and I hope to get many more years out of the cleaner. Gotta say I forgot how much of a pain it is to drag out the vacuum hose!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.