Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Our pups just stood and barked at Earl last night. However, he was upside down on a step with his tracks still going.

Did "Earl" have too much to drink at the party :)

He has been known to do so! This time though I think he tried to eat his umbilical cord. He got it wrapped up in his front roller. First time for that.

I just purchased the Active 20 and it only works on the weekly schedule but not the quick mode. Am i doing something wrong. Also like other posts the cord swivel does not work.
Bob

As @MannyT points out, the Active 20 only has schedules, nothing else. Though it can be set up in automation mode where anytime power is provided to it, it turns on, cleans, then turns off. But that is it. No quick mode and no bluetooth control.

As for the cord, I have the exact same issue. It does not pivot as it should. I am hesitant to go for warranty work since the cost to ship the entire thing back is just too much. So I might just live with the non-swiveling swivel cord.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried to read through pages 1-20 and 40-current for anyone really posting problems. I saw a couple swivel issues and cable twisting issues, aside from that what affects these units? My Aquabot swivel has come apart twice in two years and I'm not happy about it. First time was warranty and this past weekend... not so much. I think I got it solved myself, but I'm sure it'll break eventually again (and I'm careful to remove the robot by the handles)...

Also the videos for most of these look like the water drains FAST from them. My Aquabot takes a good 15-20 seconds to drain the baskets enough to pull it onto my decking without flooding myself so that looks nice too. Anyway when the Aquabot finally gives up the ghost (knock on wood I get another season out of it) I'll likely look at a Dolphin.. or *gasp* go back to a pressure side cleaner.

Nnnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

It's main advantages for my family:

1) It can sit in the pool year round, for years... my last Polaris 480 Pro went 8 years with a gearbox and swivel repair and would probably STILL be going if I hadn't cracked the tail off it when I removed it from the pool when the water was in the 30s. Now my booster is seized because I hadn't run it in forever... so yeah if I go back to pressure side it's gonna cost me a good chunk of change to do so.
2) It's light to move out of the pool. My kid is 'afraid' of the robot/cleaner so we usually lift it into the spa in the corner of the pool to keep it out of her way. The robot full of water is MUCH heavier.
3) The robot has barely lasted 2 pool seasons, for $600 dollars I spent.. I would expect 4 or 5 years out of it realistically.. which minor repair such as new wheels.

It's main advantages for my family:

1) It can sit in the pool year round, for years... my last Polaris 480 Pro went 8 years with a gearbox and swivel repair and would probably STILL be going if I hadn't cracked the tail off it when I removed it from the pool when the water was in the 30s. Now my booster is seized because I hadn't run it in forever... so yeah if I go back to pressure side it's gonna cost me a good chunk of change to do so.
2) It's light to move out of the pool. My kid is 'afraid' of the robot/cleaner so we usually lift it into the spa in the corner of the pool to keep it out of her way. The robot full of water is MUCH heavier.
3) The robot has barely lasted 2 pool seasons, for $600 dollars I spent.. I would expect 4 or 5 years out of it realistically.. which minor repair such as new wheels.

I want it for the wall scrubbing. My suction side dont do that!

@Mindflux, I too was a devout pressure side cleaner person. Had my last Polar 380 for 14 years, and it was in the pool 24/365. Only took it out to clean it out and for the occasional repair. Replaced the bag every other year, replaced the 2 belts every 4 years, and replaced the tail once. So yes, the old fashioned pressure side cleaners are proven and rock solid.

But after owning the Active 20 for 3 week, I would never go back. I still have my pressure pump installed and ready to go, and my 14 year old Polaris 380 is still in working condition. But no way I would go back.

1) MUCH better cleaning. Especially with the fine filters installed, it is just amazing how well it cleans, right up to the water line.
2) MUCH less electricity usage. Here in NorCal Bay Area, our marginal electricity rates go up to almost 40 cents. Yes, 40 cents per KwHr. My Polaris used an additional 2000W over normal (which included increasing the speed of my main pump and using the booster pump). I ran it for about 4 hours each day to clean my pool. My Active 20 runs 2 hours and uses 160W based on my measurements. Annual savings? Over $1000 by my math. And I think my pool is cleaner now.
3) Less water waste and less window cleaning. My old Polaris 380 had a tail that would spray water everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE!! But most often on the windows to the back of my house. If I did not clean them every week, the salt water would leave residue that was very hard to remove. A real mess. And a waste of water. Yes, another benefit of living in California is one of the highest costs of water in the continental US.

As for other downsides of the Active 20 / S200, none for me yet aside from having to untangle the cord every once in a while since the swivel does not work well. And, since I leave my Active 20 in the pool 24/7/365, I am expecting I will be doing more (and more expensive) repair. That remains to be seen.

Congrats....update your signature and consider a small donation? If you do you get a nice shinny TFP badge plus it keeps the lights on :)

@Mindflux, I too was a devout pressure side cleaner person. Had my last Polar 380 for 14 years, and it was in the pool 24/365. Only took it out to clean it out and for the occasional repair. Replaced the bag every other year, replaced the 2 belts every 4 years, and replaced the tail once. So yes, the old fashioned pressure side cleaners are proven and rock solid.

But after owning the Active 20 for 3 week, I would never go back. I still have my pressure pump installed and ready to go, and my 14 year old Polaris 380 is still in working condition. But no way I would go back.

1) MUCH better cleaning. Especially with the fine filters installed, it is just amazing how well it cleans, right up to the water line.
2) MUCH less electricity usage. Here in NorCal Bay Area, our marginal electricity rates go up to almost 40 cents. Yes, 40 cents per KwHr. My Polaris used an additional 2000W over normal (which included increasing the speed of my main pump and using the booster pump). I ran it for about 4 hours each day to clean my pool. My Active 20 runs 2 hours and uses 160W based on my measurements. Annual savings? Over $1000 by my math. And I think my pool is cleaner now.
3) Less water wast and less window cleaning. My old Polaris 380 had a tail that would spray water everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE!! But most often on the windows to the back of my house. If I did not clean them every week, the salt water would leave residue that was very hard to remove. A real mess. And a waste of water. Yes, another benefit of living in California is one of the highest costs of water in the continental US.

As for other downsides of the Active 20 / S200, none for me yet aside from having to untangle the cord every once in a while since the swivel does not work well. And, since I leave my Active 20 in the pool 24/7/365, I am expecting I will be doing more (and more expensive) repair. That remains to be seen.

As far as cleaning goes. I don't know.. the Aquabot I have doesn't have pleated particulate filters but I do get SOME small particulate in my robot baskets. *shrug*
Here in Central TX I pay I think 9.7c/kWh regardless of time of day, so my savings is significantly less than yours. So while your point is valid, it's less so in my case.
Point 3 is a good one though. I did hate that my 480 Pro would spray down everything outside any time the tail came out of the water.

Do the listed models clean twice as good as a Active 10? It seems to be twice the cost. I have an AG oval 15x30 and im curious to what you guys think would be best for me. I read all great this about the Active 20 here but the cost is super high for me. Thanks ahead if time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.