Doheny/Maytronics Dolphin Cable Swivel

Oct 18, 2016
Long Valley, NJ
Hi.

I have a Doheny Dolphin (circa 2017) that does not have a swivel cable. I'm getting sick of having toe t constantly untangle it. I'd like to upgrado a swivel cable, but all I've been able to find online are entire cable assemblies for ~$200. All I need is the swivel. I have a feeling this is an off-the-shelf component that I could find online using the actual manufacturer's part number, but I don't know what that is.

Does anyone have a Dolphin with a swivel that they wouldn't mind taking a look at to see if the swivel itself is stamped with a part number? Slip rings are easy to find on Amazon; it's the waterproofing that's the harder part.

I made my own power supply for my Dolphin so I could control it via my phone, put it on a schedule, etc., and I was able to find identical connectors online for much less than Maytronics was charging simply by pulling part numbers from those components on the factory stuff I had in hand. I'm hoping the same is possible with the swivel.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

@ribbonofblack - Apologies for the delayed response.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a suitable swivel.

Regarding the power supply, it's very simple. My vacuum runs on ~30 VDC, so I purchased a power supply (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SY7HFJX) and a wifi switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RN42JC7) and wired everything up in a weatherproof project box. As noted in the post above, I was able to find the right connectors online to make it all work.

Like most pool stuff, the OE power supplies are stupidly expensive for what they are - especially the ones with scheduling features - whereas my power supply was ~$100 and about 2 hours of my time between research and assembly. I can control my vacuum from my phone, and it runs every night for two hours automatically. The power supply is approaching the end of its second season and it's been issue free.

The other advantage of DIYing this is that you can build a setup that's perfect for your pool. For example, I designed and 3D-printed a surface mount for the vacuum connector, so now the only thing on my pool deck is the vacuum wire running to an inconspicuous "receptacle" mounted under the patio step leading to the pool. I ran a conduit under the patio and have the actual power supply mounted under my deck where nobody sees it. Much better than having the ugly OE power supply being dragged across the concrete when the vacuum wire tangles into a shortened mess.

Hope this is helpful info!

I will look here shortly and let you know what I find. My robot is currently making my life easy other wise I would go check now. ;)

--Jeff

@mculik5

Alright... I just pulled the robot from the depths and looked over this thing. There are ZERO identifying marks. The only marks on it are the number 3, and what I believe to be a manufacturing time stamp. One dial of what appears to be a year and another that appears to be a month.

I did get photos, but currently TFP is having issues posting, so I can't put them here. If you want to PM me your email, I'm happy to send them your way.

I'm thinking this is a Maytronics proprietary component, as the photos from their website indicate the swivel is patented. Although a quick Google patent search doesn't bring up anything by Maytronics for this. And searching Google for underwater cable swivel and other derivations of that phrase do not show anything like this, except for Maytronics stuff.

Sorry, wish I had better info for you.

--Jeff

Not the same but I am looking to buy this.

I currently use this but it's after the pump and uses a collection cartridge.
It does a wonderful job but....you have to empty it occasionally. Its got a swivel hose and do not have any tangle issues. I do untangle it if it gets twisted but that is just me being picky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some members have had success using pool noodles to keep most of the cord floating so that there was less of it in the pool to tie itself in knots. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.