Dogs, vinyl steps, upgrade?

Korzak

Aug 20, 2019
Connecticut
Hi there, we moved to a house with a 20x40 vinyl-lined pool this year. The liner is brand new, and very thick. It kills me to keep our two Labradors out of the pool, but two other family members are afraid the dogs might tear the liner. Even though I can train the dogs to use the steps very easily, I wanted to ask about reinforcing them to help allay any fear of tears in the vinyl at the steps.

Could I lay something like this this marble tile strip over the top two steps? That would sink, would cover the steps, and I can't imagine that it would damage the liner if it lay flat on the steps.

Everything I have read says that the liner will be fine if the dogs use the steps, but I don't want to be out thousands of dollars for a repair andIMG_20190614_073720.jpgIMG_20190707_190122.jpgIMG_20190614_073523.jpgIMG_20190814_204130.jpg hear about it for years, if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

I would not want to risk having dogs nails ripping the vinyl on the steps. I don't like having the steps covered with the liner for this reason (we just kept our steps uncovered).I can't open the link to see the product you are thinking of, but if I were you I would definitely look into putting something there to try to protect the liner.

Had a friend build a pool the same time as us. We had 2 ginormous bloodhounds and went with acrylic stairs for that reason. They had a small basset bound type mutt and figured the 50 lbs or so dog wouldn’t hurt the liner steps. About 2 years in they had a dozen small punctures and needed patching. Your guys are much heavier. They may not damage it every time, but every time they spring off the steps chasing an airborne tennis ball there will be a big risk of holes.

Will need the experts to weigh in if the step protectors will do any of their own damage but your steps and beautiful doggos are most likely not compatible.

Reactions: Chickinvic
So interested in the responses! I have a 60 lb dog who loves to swim in my vinyl covered step pool, and although it’s been ok for four months, I’m worried about the future. I have though about some sort of protection for the steps and training him to exit from that area...but hadn’t considered what you linked. Our vinyl is thick and textured at the steps, so it’s hard to imagine it would be a problem. Newdude’s story has me especially worried about the future!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.