Dogs drinking from saltwater pools

How about a test. Mix up some 3000 ppm salt water. Put it in their water bowl and see if they will drink it. I bet not.

If they do, I would probably take it away quickly!

Of course, since I assume you sanitize your pool with chlorine - your pool probably has nearly 1000 ppm salt in it.

I would say it's best if you can train your dog(s) NOT to drink from the pool but I realize, as a non-dog owner, that's easier said than done.

Maybe ask the vet and see what they say?

I can't keep my 2 dogs from drinking pool water. With the stuff I've seen them eat it I'm not too worried about it. From trash to a one pound chocolate bunny to soiled diapers to every chew toy know to man. I almost think they are invincible :super:

I have a whole house water softner system which leaves small residual salt taste to the water. My big lab won't drink it. I either have to get him water from the untreated hose or the reverse osmosis filtered water. My guess is, your dog won't like the salt water, espeacially if you have fresh unsalted water available for him to drink from.

ive never seen my dog intentionally drink it but she must ingest it b/c she pees and pees and pees after being in our pool. She dives for balls and 'attacks' the waterfall so I guess she's unintentionally ingesting it which is a big reason for me not increasing my Cl levels to those proposed by the TFP methodology (sorry)

My dog drinks out of my pool constantly when she is outside. She probably gets less salt from that than she does from the table scraps I sneak to her.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ive never seen my dog intentionally drink it but she must ingest it b/c she pees and pees and pees after being in our pool. She dives for balls and 'attacks' the waterfall so I guess she's unintentionally ingesting it which is a big reason for me not increasing my Cl levels to those proposed by the TFP methodology (sorry)

One of my dogs is obsessed with the pool and unintentionally drinks water just as yours does. Most of the time she is in there is when we are having guests over so I have elevated my FC to 10 (CYA 40), I'm normally around 5. Not saying you should, just saying it hasn't harmed either of my dogs. But to be fair, the lake water they drink all summer hasn't killed them yet either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.