Does your pool have a Critter Kill Count?

Apr 25, 2017
Greensboro, NC
I've only owned my pool for this season, and one thing I've learned: you'll get to know your local wildlife a bit more than before you owned a pool. :eek: My pool is right next to a heavily wooded area in our back yard, which might have something to do with it.

Since I opened our pool in late April, I've scooped out numerous toads (dead and alive) and one bullfrog (still alive...he was difficult to catch with the net!), all out of the pool itself. I've also plucked out a turtle stuck in the skimmer -- still alive, so I brought it down to the pond behind my house. Last week I found a dead rat in the deep end. I also find dead mice in the skimmers at least once every week or two.

I keep my FC in-line with my CYA levels and I know that means I'm fine, but I usually toss in some extra chlorine when I find a dead rodent. If the normal dose is a gallon, I'll dump in a second gallon...it just makes me feel better. It's worth the $3 for my peace of mind. :)

Unfortunately, yes. Chipmunks are the most frequent victims. But I've gotten mice, moles, plenty of frogs and the occasional toad. Also salamanders if the pool goes without use for more than a week or so. The first year I owned it (pre-TFP), we had literally dozens of frogs swimming in the pool. We also had an ongoing algae bloom that I was naive to -- I think there's a correlation there, as the frogs are all but gone (we still get a few here and there, but nothing like that first year). I generally don't add anything additional unless I'm not sure how long it's been in there (e.g., when on vacation), and just keep an eye on my CC as I always do.

Unfortunately, yes. Chipmunks are the most frequent victims. But I've gotten mice, moles, plenty of frogs and the occasional toad. Also salamanders if the pool goes without use for more than a week or so. The first year I owned it (pre-TFP), we had literally dozens of frogs swimming in the pool. We also had an ongoing algae bloom that I was naive to -- I think there's a correlation there, as the frogs are all but gone (we still get a few here and there, but nothing like that first year). I generally don't add anything additional unless I'm not sure how long it's been in there (e.g., when on vacation), and just keep an eye on my CC as I always do.

- numerous frogs
- a few birds
- opossum
- numerous moles
- a few mice
- a few rabbits

I live in a suburban setting - so thankfully nothing larger than the above victim list. I have a large squirrel and chipmunk population - but no squirrel or chipmunk fatalities that I recall.

I do notice that in hot dry drought conditions - the victim list grows...seemingly because they try and drink out of the pool and fall in.

There's a product that can bring the Critter Kill Count down significantly. It's called a Frog Log. Critters can find a way out of the pool easily. Fewer surprises in the skimmer baskets and water stays cleaner too.
I've also seen one that is a skimmer cover with a "ramp" built into it that acts as an escape route.
IMG_1941.JPG

-
I do notice that in hot dry drought conditions - the victim list grows...seemingly because they try and drink out of the pool and fall in.

Last year we put up some homemade bird baths that are just terracotta saucers on concrete blocks and pillars (for every bird that dies of starvation there are two that die of thirst).

IHErDUu.jpg

Since putting in this one our dead critter count has dropped off considerably. And if you change the water every few days any mosquito larva, eggs etc gets killed off.

Really glad I've got an AG pool right now, lol. Worst I've found is what seems like an infinite supply of flying ants, seem to get a hundred out of the pool every day. I thought the numerous insects I've found were terrible, until I read that people get various small mammals out of IG pools!

Even with an AG pool, I got "nailed" by a bird. Went camping for a weekend (Fri to Sun), filter on timer, covered with solar cover, brought up to shock level before I left (sounded like a sound plan). Came home to a busted filter :( .As close as I can figure, a bird landed on solar cover for a drink, fell in right by the skimmer, got sucked in, must have flopped around for a bit (dislodging the skimmer basket), ended up head down in the skimmer opening (plugging it). The filter was running with no water for who knows how long, but long enough to heat up the filter basket and warp the lid and the rim on the filter basket (no more seal). Had to replace the whole thing. Luckily the lack of circulation did not cause any water problems and he plugged it good enough to prevent lots of water loss when the pump was off. Just a reminder that things one could never think could happen, do happen and did to me!

DARN the critters ... LOL

I typically check and service the pool first thing every morning, often before anyone else is up and about, for just that reason. If they knew the critters I pull out of there, they'd never get in the water. Found a drowned mouse in the skimmer basket just the other day.

They'll never know......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A couple years ago we pulled our cover to start the process of opening(before TFP now it only takes a day or so) and the next day we came out to a ferrel Tom cat. It was awful. Not only did he die but he tore up our liner. Unfortunately it was my 13 year old(at the time) that found the poor guy.

I typically check and service the pool first thing every morning, often before anyone else is up and about, for just that reason. If they knew the critters I pull out of there, they'd never get in the water, especially my wife. Found a drowned mouse in the skimmer basket just the other day.

They'll never know......

Hopefully she doesn't browse this forum then, lol.

Last year we put up some homemade bird baths that are just terracotta saucers on concrete blocks and pillars (for every bird that dies of starvation there are two that die of thirst).

IHErDUu.jpg

Since putting in this one our dead critter count has dropped off considerably. And if you change the water every few days any mosquito larva, eggs etc gets killed off.

That is an excellent idea - simple and effective!

I do notice in drought conditions - which has been little to none this year - that every bird within 10 miles flocks to my lawn sprinklers when watering the lawn...kind of funny to see several bird species all using a common communal water source.

There's a product that can bring the Critter Kill Count down significantly. It's called a Frog Log. Critters can find a way out of the pool easily. Fewer surprises in the skimmer baskets and water stays cleaner too.
I've also seen one that is a skimmer cover with a "ramp" built into it that acts as an escape route.
View attachment 66440
I have three Frog Logs and two of the skimmer ramps. Hopefully the pics attached. Both have significantly reduced the number of dead critters found in my 22k ig pool. One toad so far this season, and the pool is backed by woods on two sides.
56f46570ca44f4ba56ffd805f2b75614.jpg
626e57427921a0b2662e0ca62f760f5c.jpg

Several lizards and one dove who was dumb enough to not hold his head out of the water while wing-floating. I did manage to save a juvie grackle, though, and returned him to the wilds of the communal greenbelt the next morning! :) Getting a Frog Log with my next Amazon order, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.