Does washing soda go bad?

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
I’m trying to use up a few chemicals that my dad had left over from his hot tub - sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, and sodium bisulfate.
My pH has been low because of the trichlor tablets I’ve been using (store was out of liquid and I could stand some CYA anyways, I was only running around 20 - so I grabbed around 10 3” tablets and have been using them just in my skimmer since my pump runs 24 hours.
Anywho, my pH was down to 7.2, so I added around 1.5 lbs of sodium carbonate figuring that that would bring my pH to 7.8.....

that was an hour, maybe 2 ago, and I am showing no change in the pH.
Can the stuff go bad?

Just for the future, highly recommend not doing what you did with the tablets in the skimmer. Took me several 4' hoses before learning that myself, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, what's your TA sitting at now? Ten 3" tablets is a pretty significant amount of acid to add to your pool.

Just for the future, highly recommend not doing what you did with the tablets in the skimmer. Took me several 4' hoses before learning that myself, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, what's your TA sitting at now? Ten 3" tablets is a pretty significant amount of acid to add to your pool.
I didn’t want to buy a floater and assumed that it wouldn’t cause any adverse effect to add to the skimmer as long as my pump was running, which it was.

Ive only added I believe 6 of the tablets so far.
This morning my test results were :

==========================================
Jim's Ahrensville Oasis
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 13000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (5 hours ago)
CC: 0.5 (5 hours ago)
pH: 7.2 (5 hours ago)
TA: 60 (5 hours ago)
CH: 250 (5 hours ago)
CYA: 30 (5 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 88° (5 hours ago)
CSI: -0.57 (5 hours ago)

Ok so it went up to???? 7.4-7.5?

I did see the expected +13 TA

Jim's Ahrensville Oasis
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 13000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 2.5 (17 minutes ago)
CC: 0.0 (17 minutes ago)
pH: 7.5 (17 minutes ago)
TA: 70 (17 minutes ago)
CH: 250 (17 minutes ago)
CYA: 30 (17 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 90° (17 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.19 (17 minutes ago)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because pH calculations that large are not exact. Pool water is very complicated mixtures of buffers and salts, pH calculations are not exact. PoolMath additions are only accurate when the pH movements are less than 0.4 units and even that is pushing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.