- Aug 11, 2020
Hi all! I’m looking for some help. We had a pool installed this past May, so it’s only 3 months old. It’s a 21’ above ground salt water pool. Everything has been going great until one day I was vacuuming the pool. I hadn’t vacuumed in like a week because it was a busy week. While vacuuming, I noticed that some of it wasn’t coming up so I kind of rubbed it with my foot. This worked mostly it maybe felt a tiny bit slimy? I didn’t think much of it and I didn’t think to backwash because I had a friend come over and I just forgot. After we were done using the pool, I set it to super chlorinate and scrubbed the pool some. They cleaned it all up and all was well. Since then, for the past 2 weeks, I learned about black algae. (I had never heard of it before) so I determined this is what I have. I’ve shocked and shocked and scrubbed and backwashed like a bajillion times. I vacuumed several times to waste. The substance itself just moves right off the liner. It doesn’t stick at all if I lightly brush it. There is some build up in the vinyl seam, but I scrub it and it goes away. I’ve treated it with Leslie’s black algae treatment and shocked some more. The stuff keeps reappearing. My husband is convinced that it’s just dirt particles since it moves easily but it’s always in the same spots. My main question is: does black algae stick to the liner? Or would I be able to just lightly brush it and it just kind of dissipate? Also, I feel like my pool is just a giant pool of chemicals at this point. We got salt water because we didn’t want to deal with chemicals. When is it safe to actually swim again? (I have added salt, bleach, calcium hypochlorite, Murciatic acid, baking soda, Clorox algaecide, Leslie’s black algae killer, pho’s free, and clarifier all in the past 2/3 weeks) I’ve also been vacuuming to waste and tipping off several times.