Does this plaster job look right?

liza8402

Mar 15, 2023
CT
Hi all -

Our pool was finished just under a month ago. The company we used came highly recommended by a few different people. I was SO happy with everything, but I’m here scratching my head wondering if the plaster job was done properly. We went with a Wet Edge Quartz (Bermuda). When you turn off the jets you can see discoloration in areas, including the stairs, and some areas that almost look scratched (I know it’s not scratched though). The owner has assured me it will go away over time and we can do a hot start next spring if not. Note the photos look a bit worse bc some of what you’re seeing is reflection. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9779.jpeg
    IMG_9779.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9780.jpeg
    IMG_9780.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9782.jpeg
    IMG_9782.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 76
Typical blue plaster mottling that we see a lot of. It is not going to change with time.

An acid bath “hot start” may blend in some of the areas by removing a layer of plaster. The acid bath will also etch and weaken the plaster.

I would live with it the way it is.

Reactions: kimkats
Typical blue plaster mottling that we see a lot of. It is not going to change with time.

eanAn acid bath “hot start” may blend in some of the areas by removing a layer of plaster. The acid bath will also etch and weaken the plaster.

New plaster is only as good as how the pool was cared for during the start up. Was the pool brushed every day for the first 7 days! Brush vacuumed at the start? Chemicals checked? Filter cleaned?

New plaster is only as good as how the pool was cared for during the start up. Was the pool brushed every day for the first 7 days! Brush vacuumed at the start? Chemicals checked? Filter cleaned?
Thank you! The pool company did the chemical balancing and brushing. It was not done daily I don't think, but a fair amount I believe. I'm unsure on what the pool was kept at PH wise - but I know after a week or two, they altered something because our pool appeared much 'bluer' at that point ( I want to say they kept the chemicals on the low side at first?) Anyways, I just want to make sure that this wasn't a shotty job -- like I said, I had received many recommendations about this company and the owner has been, in my opinion, honest and fair on everything else, so I want to believe the plaster portion of the job was done well…. I hope 🤞

An acid bath “hot start” may blend in some of the areas by removing a layer of plaster. The acid bath will also etch and weaken the plaster.

Thank you! He did mention to me that a hot start will shave a couple of years off of the plaster life. I just want to make sure that this is still a “good” plaster job. This project cost a small fortune (we completely renovated the pool) and I expected it to be too notch. I haven’t been around many Gunite pools in my life so it’s really hard for me to judge!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.