Does this look like Mustard Algae?

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
I'm curious if this looks like mustard algae? It seems to be "sticking" to the bottom. Like it takes a few scrubs with the brush to get it off. It covers the whole bottom of my pool. I read somewhere that it might be pollen.

If it is mustard Algae my guess is I have to start the SLAM process and just brush the bottom of the pool a few times a day?

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5996.jpg
    IMG_5996.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 99
In my experience, mustard algae brushes up easily (no scrubbing), tends to grow only on the shady side of the pool (at least in the beginning) and will be on walls and floor. Pollen also brushes up easily, but will tend to cover the entire pool, and never on the walls (except maybe at the water line). From the picture and description, it could be either... although you usually will also see pollen on the surface of your pool as it takes a while to break surface tension and sink. Also, the few times of the year that I get enough pollen to look like that in my pool, you can see it coming off the trees when the wind blows. What is your CC? CC > 0.5 points to the chlorine working against organic material - like algae. Unless you see pollen floating on surface the pool (or blowing from the trees), I'd SLAM it.

In my experience, mustard algae brushes up easily (no scrubbing), tends to grow only on the shady side of the pool (at least in the beginning) and will be on walls and floor. Pollen also brushes up easily, but will tend to cover the entire pool, and never on the walls (except maybe at the water line). From the picture and description, it could be either... although you usually will also see pollen on the surface of your pool as it takes a while to break surface tension and sink. Also, the few times of the year that I get enough pollen to look like that in my pool, you can see it coming off the trees when the wind blows. What is your CC? CC > 0.5 points to the chlorine working against organic material - like algae. Unless you see pollen floating on surface the pool (or blowing from the trees), I'd SLAM it.

Yeah, I don't think it's pollen. My FC level was way low (about 1) so I've decided to start the SLAM process. I'm going to have to raise my CYA level to about 40 (it's about 10 right now) and I'm going to get my FC level to about 23. Thanks for the input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.