Does this gap need to be repaired, or is it there for some purpose?

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
Take a look at the attached photo. There is a gap of about 1/8 inch between the concrete deck and the pool tiles. (Tiles may not be the right word, but you can see what I am talking about. This gap is only on one side of the pool so I think it is caused by shifting concrete, but I want to make sure before I fill it in with some concrete.

Attachments

• pool crack  crop1.jpg
    pool crack crop1.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the link to the info about expansion joints. Very helpful. The thing I don't understand is that on one side of the pool there is the gap which I now know is the expansion joint. On the other side of the pool, the concrete comes right up to the coping with no expansion joint. Maybe that was caused by concrete shifting over the years. The pool was built in 1971.

The gap is a little bit too small and adding caulk will reduce the protection compared to an open crack.

Typically, the crack gets caulked to prevent water getting in.

In some cases, water can cause problems and in some cases it does not make much difference.

How long has it been open?

Are the coping bricks bonded or unbonded?

Tap on the bricks with the plastic handle of a screwdriver to see if the sound is solid or hollow.

Bonded means that the brick is solidly mortared to the bond beam.

Unbonded means that the brick is not solidly secured to the bond bean and it will sound hollow when you lightly tap on the brick with the plastic handle of a screwdriver.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.