Does the IntelliFlo get wired to a relay?

Turbo1Ton

Gold Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
NE Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
If you have an IntelliFlo VS pump, it is controlled by serial cable and not a relay, so the IntelliFlo's AC power does not go through any relay. It is wired from the breaker directly to the pump.

Wait... Is this true? Why in the heck did my PB's electrician wire them through relays then?

I re-read the Intellicenter install manual and it does look like this is true, the best I can tell. I didn't pay much attention to that part since the power was already hooked up to the pumps. I ran the com cables to the pumps so I made sure to read that part.

Thanks
--Jeff

T1T,

Sometimes electricians will use the relays like a connection point. So for a VS pump they will tie the circuit breaker output to the line side of a relay and then tie the wires to the pump to the same line side connections.. Basically the power to the pump does not go through the relay..

If your electrician actually wired it so that the power is removed from the pump when the Pump/Filter relay is not energized... he is an idiot!!!

A simple way to check is to go outside and put the system in the Service mode.. In the the Service mode the pump's display should be on and allow you to manually use the pump.. If the display is blank, it proves my point about him being an idiot.. :mrgreen:

When running, and being controlled by the Automation, the pump's display will say.. "Display Not Active"...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, not sure if he's entirely an idiot or not. He wired both pumps to the relays. The filter pump he wired as a connection point, to the line side as you mentioned above, and tied the SWCG transformer to the load side. But I question if this was intentional as the features pump he wired to the load side of the relay.

Looks like I have something to fix this weekend. That means my Aux 1 relay is free. Bonus plan.

Regardless of his mental state... He is a slob. Biggest rat's nest I've seen in a while. I'll have to spend some time cleaning that mess up. I can't handle it.

Thanks for the clarification Jim. Glad I stumbled into this thread. Not that it isn't working at the moment. But I'm sure killing the line power to the motor and performing that many startup sequences may not be good on the electronics.

--Jeff

Jeff,

The fact that the electrician correctly wired the SWCG's power supply to the Pump/Filter relay moved him up on the idiot scale... :mrgreen:

I was going to mention that today as that is a very common mistake by new installers..

Glad you have everything under control.

I'm going to move our posts to a thread of your own..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for moving this Jim. Didn't mean to hijack the other thread. Was just surprised at myself for missing that information in the instructions. ?‍♂️

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.