Does the brand of Liquid Chlorine 10% matters?

Lei Mend

Jun 4, 2020
Virginia
Hi, I’m a new convert to using liquid chlorine. I just finished my first ever SLAM. I bought 3 cases of Liquid Chlorine 12.5% from my local pool store and the cost was $23 per case (or $5.75 per gallon). Within 4 days my pool consumed 10 gallons. I was doubting my decision of using Liquid Chlorine exclusively due to the high cost. Then I followed some suggestions to hunt for 10% concentration. Even the 10% was selling at $5.99 at the Ace Hardware in my area. Crazy!

Fortunately, a kind member told me about the deal at Rural King. They were selling 10% for $7.88 per case. Including taxes it came out $2/gallon. So I ordered online for pick up at the store which was more than an hour drive. I really like that Rural King stored their stock inside the store as opposed to the stock at Lowe’s and Home Depot that were stored outdoors.

My question is does it matter what the brand of liquid chlorine I use OR it’s all the same as long as it’s 10% Sodium Hypochlorite? Below is the photo of the chlorine bottles.

Attachments

• 0A0F0C3A-6364-4D41-B273-30DA6443C7E9.png
    0A0F0C3A-6364-4D41-B273-30DA6443C7E9.png
    439.9 KB · Views: 13
Sodium Hypochlorite is sodium hypochlorite …. so as long as there are no additives like splash less or other things you're fine. 12.5 % is 25% stronger than 10% so take that into account when you add it. I can get 5 gallons of 12.5% for $15.99+- here in Upstate NY.

Reactions: Lei Mend
Chlorine is chlorine. The only time I've heard of brand mattering is with regular Chlorox bleach which contains additives that you dont want in your pool.

Reactions: Lei Mend
Sodium Hypochlorite is sodium hypochlorite …. so as long as there are no additives like splash less or other things you're fine. 12.5 % is 25% stronger than 10% so take that into account when you add it. I can get 5 gallons of 12.5% for $15.99+- here in Upstate NY.
Wow! that is a great deal. Unfortunately for me, the pool stores in my area are heavy on marketing the tablets and powdered shock. They don’t really make liquid chlorine the affordable choice.

Last edited:
The important thing is to check the manufacture dates on the box. It will look something like 20xxx, which means it was produced in 2020 with xxx being the day of the year (1-365). Make sure it's no older than 60-90 days because it can start degrading over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.