Does salt disappear over winter?

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I closed late September. Chlorine was at slam level. I pulled a sample today and tested. Water looks good. Chlorine is at 4 and Ph is 7.6. CYA is between 60 and 70. So, things look good. I’ll be opening on April 8 so I think it can sit until then.

One thing that looked odd was the salt. I was at about 3200 before close and now I’m at 2250. I’m thinking it may just be that the salt has settled to the bottom and my sample, taken at about 18” just didn’t get low enough. Said another way, without the pump working, I think the salt has settled and not disappeared. Does that make sense? Or, should I get some salt on hand for opening day? I don’t really want to store salt so I don’t want to get it only to find out I don’t need it once the pump starts circulating the water.

Always wait until the pool is filled and fully circulated for several hours prior to taking a water sample for water chemistry purposes.

That makes sense. My main goal was to get some idea what the chlorine was doing. I tested it a couple times during the winter, when it wasn’t frozen, and the chlorine seemed to be holding. Main thing is that the water appears clear.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.