Does pump speed matter when IC40 is set to 100%?

jrhAR

May 23, 2018
Bryant, AR
I didn't close my vinyl pool over winter, and I ran my pump a couple of hours every morning to try to keep it clean. Last week, I ran the robot bottom cleaner three days to remove 3 months of dirt on the bottom. However, the IC40 showed Low Salt (water temp is 62), and no Status LED lit up. I measured 2400 ppm salt with the Taylor Salt Test; FC with the Taylor K-1000 color test measured <0.5.

So, based on Pool Math, I added two bags of salt and a pound of dichlor (BioGuard smart shock--first time I'd ever added chlorine to the pool), which should have raised the FC to ~9. (I figured more than usual wouldn't hurt after having added none for 3 months!) I waited 2 days and measured FC and Salt again: FC was still <0.5, but salt had increased to 3400 ppm. However, the IC40 still said Low Salt. I called Pentair Tech Support, which suggested I replace the IC40's flow switch. I did that today, and it seems to be working properly (Salt Level, Cell, and Flow all read Good)!

But, since my pool's FC was essentially 0 from having none made in 3 months, I need to raise FC up to ~4 ppm. Both Pool Math and the SWCG spreadsheet say if I want 4 ppm FC, and run the SWCG at 100%, I need to run the pump for 4.635 hours for my estimated 8100 gal pool. This sure seems like a short run time to raise FC from 0 to 4! Is this correct? Also, does it matter whether I run the pump at low (1150 rpm) or high (2350 rpm) speed? I understand the IC40's %Output is percent of run time. I'm just trying to understand what matters and what doesn't. Other than running more water through the sand filter, does a higher pump speed contribute anything? My plan, after I get the chemistry established at good levels, is to run the pump at Low speed (1150 rpm) for two 2-hour sessions/day, with IC40 at 60%; this would give a daily FC replenishment of 2.07 ppm. Last summer (my first with a pool), I ran my pump only 2 hours/day, at 1500 rpm, but I had to run the IC40 at 80% or 100% a lot, to keep up.

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
jrh,,

Running more or less water through your cell will not increase or decrease the amount of chlorine your cell will make. As long as your low speed closes the flow switch then that is all that is necessary. The flow switch assembly has a flow switch as well as a thermister which measures the water temperature going through the cell.

Your cell production numbers look correct to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pump speed has no impact on chlorine output for an SWG. It is fine to run the SWG at 100% for a short time or 60% for a longer time. It still does the same amount of work. I prefer to run my pump at a lower speed and SWG at a lower output for longer periods of time so that I get more skimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.