Indio California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all I have been doing some research on my pool filter which is a Pentair clean and clear +320. When I clean out the cartridges there’s a lot of dirt at the bottom of the filter. I don’t know if that is dirt simply because we live in a very windy area or if that is DE and I should not clean out that dirt. I cannot find any information online of whether or not this is a DE filter. Should I not touch that or should I clean it all out and put new DE in it? We just got rid of black algae so I want to clean out anything and everything I can to keep the pool up to par.

It's probably dirt. You have a cartridge filter and sometimes dirt just naturally falls to the bottom. You can clean or flush it out whenever you open up the filter for maintenance. DE filters have much different "insides" with fingers or cloth grids that require DE to coat them.

The short answer is NO.. You have a cartridge filter.

An easy way to tell is that if your pump is connected directly to the filter, without going through a MPV or a backwash valve, then you have a cartridge filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's probably dirt. You have a cartridge filter and sometimes dirt just naturally falls to the bottom. You can clean or flush it out whenever you open up the filter for maintenance. DE filters have much different "insides" with fingers or cloth grids that require DE to coat them.
Thank you! I will clean that bad boy out today

You want to open the drain valve on the bottom and then flush all that junk out and then replace the drain valve.
Those Pentair drain plugs can be tricky. They are awkwardly positioned and not terribly easy to get off and on. Excess torque can strip the threads or even warp the shell if you put too much muscle into it. Plus, whatever crud is on the bottom will just land on your equipment pad from which you'll have to clean it up.

I prefer to leave the drain plug in place at all times and shop-vac out the crud at the bottom.

I don’t know if that is dirt simply because we live in a very windy area or if that is DE
If you are not adding DE, is there anyone who might possibly be adding DE?

If you use a service, they "might" be adding DE, but you would need to ask them.

The Clean and Clear Plus manual does not suggest adding DE.

The Clean and Clear cartridge filter does suggest adding DE.

In any case, I would not add DE and if your service people are adding DE, I would ask them not to add DE.

Note: When the cartridge element filter is used on new pools and after cleaning the elements, introduce into the system 0.5 pounds of diatomaceous earth per every 100 square feet of filter area, (a one-pound coffee can equals 0.5 pounds of diatomaceous earth). Mix the diatomite with water and pour it into the skimmer after the pump is primed and the system is operating. This will enhance the filtration of your water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.