Does multiport 'closed' position isolate filter completely?

threecheese

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Long Island, NY
I have a leak in my DE filter bulkhead (top pipe, dont know if thats inlet or outlet) that causes pressure loss and DE getting in the pool when the pump is off. I have tried to set the multiport valve to 'closed' after turning off the pump, but found that I lost pressure again overnight; the pump basket was empty of water and the inlets gurgled air.

I had expected this to isolate the filter completely, allowing the system to retain prime.

Was this a valid expectation? If so, I must have a return side air leak. (Or bad spider gasket, but its only a year old valve)

Ideas?

I have a leak in my DE filter bulkhead (top pipe, dont know if thats inlet or outlet) that causes pressure loss and DE getting in the pool when the pump is off. I have tried to set the multiport valve to 'closed' after turning off the pump, but found that I lost pressure again overnight; the pump basket was empty of water and the inlets gurgled air.

I had expected this to isolate the filter completely, allowing the system to retain prime.

Was this a valid expectation? If so, I must have a return side air leak. (Or bad spider gasket, but its only a year old valve)

Ideas?
It would be helpful to see a picture of the plumbing in question.

That looks like your standard side mount Multi-Port Valve. I believe that "closed" only closes the pump port, leaving the filter return to pool open.

MPV tip: Always shut off the pump when changing positions, and only rotate the valve in one direction as that will reduce the chance of premature gasket failure. I chose clockwise for no particular reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.