Does CYA go up naturally?

Jun 21, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
Hello I drained and refilled my pool about 7 months ago because i had high CYA readings. Since then Ive only used chlorine bleach, Ph reducer and chlorine tablets in the floater. My concern is that my CYA is high again. Does this occur naturally? I do have flag stone around the pool and we sometimes get dust storms, could that be it?

A little more info...
Pool size is 10000 gal non salt water

Calcium hardness 625
TA 140
CYA 80
Chlorine 5 but decreases to 0 in about 5 days
Br 10 but behaves same as chlorine
Ph 7.8 but i constantly have to add pH reducer

I get these readings using the test kit recommended here

If i use a hth test stip my CYA reading is 150

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Jason. Are the floater tablets not recommended? If not what should I be using?

Just liquid chlorine.

And you should be testing and adjusting it nearly every day and never let the FC drop below the minimum required for your CYA level according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Sorry I am gonna highjack your thread.

Quick background :

The previous pool owner and I have been using tablets for years.
Last month at pool opening CYA was to the roof and I had it back to 70/80 after emptying more than half the pool.
Was pretty stable but today it is showing 90... I guess there is a margin of error with this test (I try to always do it with the sun in my back, tube at hip height etc).

I recall having read somewhere that plaster pools could release some CYA if there has been a lot of CYA in the water for years.
Does it make sense or am I wrong here ?

I will try to retest tomorrow morning to make sure.

Sorry I am gonna highjack your thread.

Quick background :

The previous pool owner and I have been using tablets for years.
Last month at pool opening CYA was to the roof and I had it back to 70/80 after emptying more than half the pool.
Was pretty stable but today it is showing 90... I guess there is a margin of error with this test (I try to always do it with the sun in my back, tube at hip height etc).

I recall having read somewhere that plaster pools could release some CYA if there has been a lot of CYA in the water for years.
Does it make sense or am I wrong here ?

I will try to retest tomorrow morning to make sure.

CYA is only added, not created.

The CYA test is +/-10ppm at best using the 1:1 ratio of pool water/reagent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have some vague recollection of threads talking about the CYA being released from the plaster. Similar to how Calcium scaling could be redisolved and the calcium released.

But, I am not sure there was any truth behind it. If you can find any sources for this, please let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.