Does cloudy / algae water effect CYA reading?

Dec 27, 2014
Lemoore, CA
My water seems awfully cloudy to be trying to do a Taylor CYA test and interpret the little dot... The numbers I'm getting are plausible but I wanted to see if cloudy water could alter the results...

I had a massive algae bloom in both the pool and spa. I'm in the process of bringing them back with SLAM.

The pool CYA measured around 100 so I did a partial drain and refill to get it down to about 60-70. I've been in the SLAM for about 48 hours with good progress. Water is bluer and cloudy, much less green.

So I've turned my attention to the little spa. CYA was about 110-120. I'm pretty surprised by these results because in the last year I've been fighting a leak with the hot tub. I would have thought there was almost zero CYA in the hot tub due to draining / refilling over time. The water is pretty cloudy since I added some chlorine earlier today...

Look at the pool water in the CYA test tube. Can you see the dot when the vial is full?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.