Does Chlorine lose it potency in sealed containers?

Iam1964

Bronze Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
Conroe, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is a question for the chemists in the room.

I use chlorine in 1 gallon jugs bought from Home Depot and was wondering how long it lasts if I store it unopened in our laundry room (70 F to 75 F).

Thanks

Not I, but there is a chart for that. :)

on top of this, what the store did with it before you bought it can lower it also. For example if it sat out in the parking lot for a week or in the open area of the garden center
Thanks newdude, I cannot control the store but I can control what I do with it when I get home.

I know of the chart that you reference but what is the storage condition of the chlorine referenced in the chart.... Is it open to the elements or is it in a sealed container?

Liquid Chlorine is never stored in a sealed bottle, they all have “breather” caps on them. The breakdown of hypochlorite creates oxygen gas and so the container must be vented or else it will burst. Your laundry room is a fine location. You can expect the potency of fresh 10% LC to last for a month or more. Best to buy LC in small batches that you know you’ll use so that it’s not sitting around your home wasting away.

Reactions: Iam1964
Liquid Chlorine is never stored in a sealed bottle, they all have “breather” caps on them. The breakdown of hypochlorite creates oxygen gas and so the container must be vented or else it will burst. Your laundry room is a fine location. You can expect the potency of fresh 10% LC to last for a month or more. Best to buy LC in small batches that you know you’ll use so that it’s not sitting around your home wasting away.
Thanks Matt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.