Does anyone on here like chlorine?

I've never had a SWCG. When I bought the house we used a pool maintenance company for the first couple of months. After what the maintenance guy was saying didn't add up, I found TFP and started learning how to properly maintain the pool. Until I got a test kit and started doing it right, I continued with the previous method of adding powdered chlorine (calcium hypochlorite, chlorine bonded to calcium in a stable powder form) and tr-chlor pucks (calcium, cyanuric acid, and chlorine bonded together and formed into a hard "hocky puck" that's meant to dissolve slowly) after I got the test kit, I switched to liquid Chlorine (6% bleach) and got much better control of my pool, but the damage had already been done. 3 years into owning the pool, I had some tiles fall off of the spa, and started seeing some plaster damage in the spa (exacerbated by a bad check valve that allowed the spa to drain back to the pool). I had the tiles re set and re-grouted then, and a couple years later when I had the money, I had the entire pool re-plastered. Now, 5 years after that, I've had some of the same tiles come off again, and now they need to be re attached and re grouted again.

That wall of text was all to say, it didn't have anything to do with the type or amount of chlorine, but probably poor control of pH, Calcium Hardness, and just age and freeze/thaw cycles

SWCG's are one method. Another is to EVERY DAY, add liquid chlorine/bleach to your pool.
This is really the primary consideration in the decision-making process. Assuming you care for your pool properly, SWG and chlorine cost about the same. With a SWG, you just pay up front. You can use tablets when you're away, but you need to closely monitor the levels of CYA to avoid draining and refilling.

Best wishes.

Appreciate it, I’m definitely going to consider it when I get the final quote. Will share that in the design in a few days I hope
What is even weirder I've seen stories here of Houston area PB's not wanting to warranty pools where the owner wanted an SWG.. So they had the PB stub for it and then the owner added the SWG after the final inspection.

What is even weirder I've seen stories here of Houston area PB's not wanting to warranty pools where the owner wanted an SWG.. So they had the PB stub for it and then the owner added the SWG after the final inspection.

That is strange. My pool builder is a HS friend so I am sure he will do either or and warranty it. It sounds like the main take away is monitor your pool chemical levels know matter what type you have and keep up maintenance

Ahh, maybe that's it and not freeze/thaw. That's where my issues are as well.
Yeah.. My pool is pretty mature, built in the late 80's. I noticed later pool builds in my area around that time, they made the wall thicker that separated the built in Spa and pool. Over the years I have developed a hairline crack in the wall separating the spa and pool from the continued expansion and contraction of the wall from heating up the spa. The construction gurus here have said its probably fine, If it is leaking it will only leak into the pool. Some day when I replaster I may have it beefed up. But its been like that since I moved into the house 20 years ago, and it ain't going anywhere! In meantime I just have to reglue my tiles every now and then.

sorry for going Off topic

@mguzzy, can you message we with how you reglue your tiles? I had it done by someone last time and I'm not real comfortable with tile work

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bre,

It is really only part of Texas.. Mainly in and around the Houston area.

I live in the DFW area and most pool builders up here have no problem installing saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lots of push back in Austin as well. The purchaser has to really push for it. Many builders outright won’t do it, just strike those builders out early. Many other builders will try to talk you out of it, all citing that it’ll be rough on decking, equipment, etc. However, if you tell them it’s a deal breaker and a mandatory requirement, some builders will comply. If you sound like you’re undecided, they will charge ahead without salt and/or play on your fears about things eroding away and other nonsense, so just get it out there as a non-debatable requirement and save yourself from a lot of wasted time and energy.

The PB will remind you that your coping choices are limited, outside of that it’s business as usual once you get passed the early push back.

B,

I feel your pain with this decision. You hear one thing from a lot of builders in your area and you hear something completely different here. Truth is there are lots of salt pools in Houston and Dallas. This doesn't make sense if salt pools don't work. After reading all these posts over the past few years and watching many experts here successfully operate salt pools I've concluded the opinions of builders is just not correct about salt. Sadly there are a lot of great builders that just don't understand pool chemistry. When something goes wrong with a salt pool they built they automatically blame it on the salt instead of a bad choice of materials or poor workmanship on their part. So the fact they're somewhat conflicted and you don't need to understand pool chemistry to be a great builder is what I think has led to all the misconceptions about salt pools.

After 2 years of pool service and 5 years of jug lugging myself I switched to salt a little over a year ago. My pool is fine, feels much softer, wife loves it and it is amazingly easy to care for. If I ever build a new pool it will be a salt pool from the start. Wife would kill me if I tried to go back to liquid chlorine!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.