Does anyone have recommendations for repairing hairline cracks in the neck (tank collar) of a Hayward sand filter tank?

jmb

May 26, 2011
Windsor Ontario Canada;SW Ontario near Detroit, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our very reliable Hayward sand filter tank started to leak under pressure i.e leaks more in filter setting than in recirculate. When we replaced the o gasket we noticed hairline cracks under the tank collar.

Does anyone have recommendations for repairing hairline cracks in the neck of the Hayward sand filter tank.. A friend has suggested trying JB weld. Has anyone had any success with repairing these hairline cracks?

Also, if a fix does not work it looks like we may be able to just replace the tank itself. The Vari flow valve is working fine. Does anyone have experience with this?

A filter is a pressure vessel. It can't be safely repaired. It will neeed to be replaced.
A crack or failed repair could cause the filter (pressure vessel) to catastrophically explode, causing personal harm.

Reactions: jmb
The tank cannot be repaired.

It is very dangerous.

It should be turned off immediately and left off.

If the tank is less than 5 years old, file a warranty claim for a new tank.

If it's older, I would go to a big cartridge filter.

How old is the tank?

What is the model number?
The tank is very old and we will replace it. It is a Hayward S-220T. At this point we will look into replacing just the tank depending on cost compared to complete replacement. We have a call into our pool store and I will call Hayward after the Monday holiday. We have used a sand filter since 1986. I see you recommend a cartridge filter versus sand. I will review again the pros and cons. I did once this research once before. We are very familiar with the sand filter and it has served us well. It is very low maintenance and very low cost. We have a lot of pollen. Our pool water has been crystal clear all summer. Since following TFP chemistry maintenance we have not had a problem with algae in many many years. Even opening the pool after being closed for 8.5 months is easy and the water cleans up relatively quickly. Thanks for your assistance. Have a great weekend. :)

Last edited:
The tank is very old and we will replace it. It is a Hayward S-220T. At this point we will look into replacing just the tank depending on cost compared to complete replacement. We have a call into our pool store and I will call Hayward after the Monday holiday. We have used a sand filter since 1986. I see you recommend a cartridge filter versus sand. I will review again the pros and cons. I did once this research once before. We are very familiar with the sand filter and it has served us well. It is very low maintenance and very low cost. We have a lot of pollen. Our pool water has been crystal clear all summer. Since following TFP chemistry maintenance we have not had a problem with algae in many many years. Even opening the pool after being closed for 8.5 months is easy and the water cleans up relatively quickly. Thanks for your assistance. Have a great weekend. :)
If you're going to replace it with sand, get the S-244T, a larger capacity filter. S-310T would be even better.

I think you'll find that the tank alone is going to be more expensive than the entire filter! Just get a whole new filter. A bigger filter requires less backwashing and will have lower pressures. The 310 is pretty big but if you have room, definitely go up to the 244.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.