Does anybody connect their pool equipment to outlets directly on house?

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
I'm having an above-ground pool installed and it will only be 11' from the back of the house.

Instead of digging and burying conduit for an electrical outlet, I'd like to install dedicated circuit/outlets right on the house itself using a waterproof in-use electric box, etc.

This should be allowed, right?

My only problem is that I want to use a pool timer (Aube TI040) and mount that to the house too. I'd like to run the electric through the back of the box (into the house) but it doesn't have a cut-out for the back. I can drill a hole but then it won't be waterproof?

9116BB70-1260-4D6D-8018-A96C0AFC1615.png
6-10 ft
As for the timer you could put a pvc male adapter & conduit through the back & silicone if you’re worried

I dunno if anyone will fail you over being a foot away. Or if you’ll be getting an inspection. Also look up equipotential bonding
F45C502E-C457-4B09-814F-21FD05BE2E37.png

Ugh ... Thanks. I thought the pump outlet could be between 6-20' from the pool. It sounds like you guys are saying it needs to be between 6 and 10 feet. That puts it 1 foot too far and running conduit, burying, etc, is a lot for just one foot! :(

I am getting it inspected so that definitely might be a problem. I was hoping to install the outlets on the house tomorrow myself too!

81757259-3FD9-4080-BB56-10D3246976B1.jpeg
this may be better - the pump motor rec is
different than the convenience receptacle
From what I understand the pump motor receptacle just has the minimum distance not maximum just has to be in sight. Although I assume you’re going to be restricted Somewhat by the length of cord & pool hoses/plumbing
But the convenience rec has a min & a maximum. It also must be on a separate circuit as the pump rec must be dedicated

I spoke with my inspector today and he said I need to follow IRC 2015 and not NEC. I think your 6 - 10' for the electrical outlet is correct.

However, I'm now unsure what to do. I was planning to put the pool heater next to the house (and had natural gas run) but I didn't know about the gas fumes and the heater being under the window.

Here is what it looks like now:

I was going to run PVC underground from the pool to the heater/pump next to the house but now I think I need to move the heater and pump closer to the pool.

Does anybody have any suggestions? The Hayward 100K BTU heater says it should be 5 feet from the pool as well.

Can the heater go around the corner?
most above ground pumps & equipment I’ve seen are right next to the pool near the skimmer. Some people use those plastic sheds to conceal their equipment

Unfortunately I'm looking to move my shed against the house around that corner. I agree that would be a good spot though.

I might have to just put the heater and pump next to the skimmer. I'm also planning to build a deck over that area though.

Also, the Hayward heater says the unit should be 5 feet from the pool. I'm assuming this is required? Two of my neighbors have the same heater and have it 2 or 3 feet from the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are u planning a deck all the way around the pool? I positioned my pool so the skimmer would be nearest the corner of my shop I was going to run power from & built my deck 1/2 way around the pool stopping just before the skimmer so I could put my pool equipment there & store my pool maintenance stuff under the deck & be able to easily access it all in one place. My friend has a deck covered skimmer & its a pain - up the stairs , down the stairs...

That doesn't say it needs to be 6 to 10 ft away! It says it cannot be CLOSER to the pool than 10ft (or 6 if the conditions are met). Having a plug 11ft away is MORE than 10ft away, so that doesn't really apply here.
Correct- after going back i do see that -
I knew there was a distance stipulation for a required (convenience) receptacle (6-20ft) & i read 680.22 (A)(2) the same way. Which is why i posted this after
View attachment 139743
this may be better - the pump motor rec is
different than the convenience receptacle
From what I understand the pump motor receptacle just has the minimum distance not maximum just has to be in sight. Although I assume you’re going to be restricted Somewhat by the length of cord & pool hoses/plumbing
But the convenience rec has a min & a maximum. It also must be on a separate circuit as the pump rec must be dedicated

There is a definitely some confusion/differences about the electric outlet requirements. My code inspector sent me a real nice explanation sheet of the requirements and it does state 6 - 10 feet away. (not a minimum, but it must be within that range)

Maybe this varies between localities?

An AG pool is not considered a permanent structure/pool, so that might make a difference.
Since you've spoken with the inspector, ask him what he wants to see. If you can put the heater and electrical next to the house.
Directions we originally followed showed equipment next to the pool had to be 4 ft away to avoid climbing hazard for kids trying to get in the pool.
We moved our equipment 20 ft away from the pool to hide it and the pipes are buried.

OK - I just spoke to the code inspector and he wasn't too helpful. He said to follow the document that he sent me and it's "all about the distances". It sounds like the pump outlet needs to be within 6 to 10 feet and my house being 11.5' won't work. I can put the outlet on a post 1.5 feet from the house, but I'm more concerned about two other things:

1) Should the pump heater be so close to the house and the window? The manufacturer (Hayward H100ID1) says it must be 5 feet from the pool and then "no openings to the building within 10 feet" but I'm not quite sure. I don't want the gas fumes going into the window above but maybe I don't need to worry about that? (that window is never open and always closed anyways)

2) Is it OK for the pump to be 11 or so feet from the pool? Is that too far for the pump to pull the water and then for the heater to push it back into the pool?

Pool heater manufacturer recommendations are different then legal code requirements. Some manufacturer recommendations ae required for proper operation and others for safety. 10 feet from a building opening is to prevent carbon monoxide from the exhaust getting into the building. You have to decide if the window is far enough away for you.

11 feet is not far for a pump to move water. Your distances are not a problem for the pump.

Thank you so much again.

The pump is about 10 feet away and 3 feet down (so 13 feet) away from the skimmer plus another 16 or so feet to the return to the pool. Total distance from pool, to pump, and back to pool is about 30 feet?

Is that still OK for the pump? (the pump is a Hayward Power-Flo LX Pump (SP1580FP))

Here's a new picture:

(PVC pipes would of course be buried underground so the distance would be a bit longer)

Last edited:
Your pump can move your water 50'. Move on from that issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.