Does Alkalinity need to be lowered aggressively

Joe3

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2018
Austin, Tx
Pool was resurfaced with StoneScape/‘pebble tech’ the beginning of March this year. Fill was complete March 9. CSI has averaged 0.03 since then. TA has averaged 98 with a max of 120. TA crept up to 100 about two months ago and then to 110 or 120. For 6 weeks, it’s been fluctuating between 110 and 120. I’m using 7.0 as the target pH in PoolMath and adding the recommended acid volume once a week.

Should I be more aggressive or stay the current course?

Here’s a link to my PoolMath results logs PoolMath Logs

Thanks for your help.

Your testing shows you are letting your pH rise to 8 before adding acid.

The best way to combat the high TA fill water that is pushing your TA up is to add acid more often. Test your pH every 3 or 4 days. Lower your pH to 7.2 when you do and once your TA gets to below 100, only lower it to 7.4.

Thanks! Appreciate the quick turnaround. Will check pH and adjust more frequently.
I was thinking the rise in TA was due to the plaster curing. Haven’t added tap water since March. Rainwater has been the only addition. Could it be due to the curing process? How long does that continue to affect TA and acid demand. CH has been creeping up slowly over the past 4-6 weeks.

pH will rise from curing plaster for up to a year. The TA and CH should not be effected to a measurable amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.