Does a SWG Cause Premature Corrosion of Natural Stone & Metal Surfaces?

Glenrjack

Apr 24, 2021
Fairfax, Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Has anyone that has used a salt water generator experienced any premature corrosion of natural stone surfaces (travertine, marble) or metal surfaces (auto cover metal rails, heater elements, pump seals, etc)? I am having a pool built and after speaking to several pool service companies, I am on the fence whether to go with chlorine or a salt water generator. Some service technicians stated they have seen lot of corrosion and others state many people are switching to the generator. One pool builder in my area also started a service company and after 5 years, they are no longer recommending SWG to their clients based on the corrosion they are seeing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Glen !!! Poor quality materials of any kind (Stones, ladders, lights, etc) will degrade from the moisture, not the 10% of seawater salinity content of a salt pool Chlorine pools regurally become 5%+ of seawater from all that Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach/chlorine) being added daily. The poor quality materials will rust/degrade just from being in the yard.... pool or no pool.

so the real question becomes can anybody possibly prove that a mere 5% of seawater salinity would ever make a difference ? I am in the hardcore ‘no’ boat there.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.