Do you regret getting glass tile? Oh and Permit approved! What next?

ckinchen

Mar 1, 2019
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All!
My permit was finally approved this week. My pool builder if finalizing things, whatever that means. I asked if I should have the sprinklers capped and he said hold off. In the meantime I need to make a decision about the glass tile. I was going to do glass only in the sheer decent, but now that I see how pretty and sparkly...I am wondering if I will regret not doing the whole waterline in glass tile. It will be around 2K more. I do have hard water too. So, do you regret the extra work for glass tile? Is it a lot of upkeep? Bonus if you can tell me how to justify the "need" for glass tile verses the porcelain, not quite sure how I will sell that idea to my hubby! Here are pictures of everything including the grey waterline time I have selected, and the glass tile for the sheer decent. Thanks!!

Attachments

• All together 20201022_174518 (1).jpg
    All together 20201022_174518 (1).jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 65
  • seafoam 20201022_172620 (1).jpg
    seafoam 20201022_172620 (1).jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Waterline tile 20201022_173918 (1).jpg
    Waterline tile 20201022_173918 (1).jpg
    614 KB · Views: 59
Hi All!
My permit was finally approved this week. My pool builder if finalizing things, whatever that means. I asked if I should have the sprinklers capped and he said hold off. In the meantime I need to make a decision about the glass tile. I was going to do glass only in the sheer decent, but now that I see how pretty and sparkly...I am wondering if I will regret not doing the whole waterline in glass tile. It will be around 2K more. I do have hard water too. So, do you regret the extra work for glass tile? Is it a lot of upkeep? Bonus if you can tell me how to justify the "need" for glass tile verses the porcelain, not quite sure how I will sell that idea to my hubby! Here are pictures of everything including the grey waterline time I have selected, and the glass tile for the sheer decent. Thanks!!

We just remodeled our pool and spa and did all glass tile. We don’t regret it! I was cleaning them weekly but now our water is way too cold so I’m
Hoping they stay clean by just brushing them without actually getting in the pool. We have hard water as well and it was a very tough sell to the husband due to price but .... happy wife happy life!

Reactions: ckinchen
In Florida you should get enough rain to keep your CH in the lower levels. If not, then use softened water for makeup. Also control your ph and TA to keep your CSI under 0.

Yay! So exciting 🥳! Our permit was approved last week and we’re scheduling subs. We’re doing owner builder. I really wanted glass tile. Really bad. But a pool remodeler talked my husband out of it. I could have changed his mind, and tried, and was almost there, but then I read some old threads on here about taking care of it and decided to get the 2x3 porcelain tiles Instead. I am getting it for step trim though. I would think that getting it for waterline would be the same upkeep as the sheer decent, just more of it. I love all your color choices.

@Nikilyn I want to know when these people plan to dig, I am so excited! Do you have any pics of the 2x3 porcelain tiles you have? I was thinking to do the same thing, I went to my NPT showroom today, which isn’t a full one, but I didn’t see any porcelain that were smaller size. Was thinking that might be best of both.

The ones I’m getting are from Noble. We have a full showroom here but it was one of the biggest wastes of time. The girl didn't know any answers to my questions. She also couldn’t recommend anyone to install their finishes. She said, look at the website. None of them answered me so we aren’t doing their product. Anyway, here’s the tile I chose. The bigger one is for the pool and the smaller is for the spa. We’re getting an oval spa and they didn’t think the larger would work well on the tighter curve.

Oh, we are scheduled to dig Dec 2nd.

Attachments

• C1D5389E-C952-4FA8-A610-F35D7316CD26.jpeg
    C1D5389E-C952-4FA8-A610-F35D7316CD26.jpeg
    878.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 21546C9E-F43E-412D-8672-5D8E8BDEEE59.jpeg
    21546C9E-F43E-412D-8672-5D8E8BDEEE59.jpeg
    825.8 KB · Views: 34
So permit approved and next thing is pre-site meeting being set up for hopefully next week. Do I need to do anything to prepare for pre site meeting?

Reactions: Nikilyn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.