Do people drain a lot their SWG pool before opening when they need to SLAM?

pisymbol

Gold Supporter
Jul 11, 2014
NJ
Every season, my opening starts with a green sess pool that I have SLAM into submission.

Given that CYA levels are far above 40 for a properly seasoned SWG TFP, do folks always drain a lot of water on opening if they need to SLAM? I believe the answer is YES but I don't read a lot about it in the forums as a drawback of a SW pool.

Still waiting to pass my ONFCT before switching on the SWG....almost there...

Every season, my opening starts with a green sess pool that I have SLAM into submission.

Given that CYA levels are far above 40 for a properly seasoned SWG TFP, do folks always drain a lot of water on opening if they need to SLAM? I believe the answer is YES but I don't read a lot about it in the forums as a drawback of a SW pool.

Still waiting to pass my ONFCT before switching on the SWG....almost there...

I open to a clear pool every year. Do you follow the TFP closing recommendations?

I drain down a bit at closing, so my CYA is usually around 40ppm when I open and top off in the spring (salt gets diluted too). I opened to a FC of 12ppm this year, it was a cold winter. Crystal clear and passes the OCLT first night open, same as last year.

Don't drain any water here. Cover is semi solid and let's water through so only water that gets drained off is the excess that builds up over winter (if need be). Basically just have some sediment on the bottom which I vacuum to waste to lower the excess water. Water is always clear when opening for me, luckily.

Following the closure and opening process on this site should net a smooth hassle free opening. You can also periodically test the water over winter and add chlorine as needed to keep the level up so it doesn't turn on ya.

I could probably improve my closing a bit, but due to circumstances I close early and sometimes have to open late. This has led to a green pool every year since I've moved into the house. After 72 hours, I'm good for the rest of the season and have zero algae issues following the TFP methodology.

However, I realize that with the SWG, I'm wondering what my CYA will be at opening next year. Interestingly enough, this year I had 0 to start with.

I don't open/close myself, I have that done by a service since my pool was installed about a decade ago. But they drain the water below the return jets and put rubber stoppers on jets, returns, etc - so this takes the water level down a couple of feet or so. Over the winter the pool fills up with rain and melted snow and is generally full. So this means that stuff like CYA and salt will have been diluted done over the winter. So I need to add some CYA and salt at the start of each season.

Yes, you do. I wasn't disputing that. In fact, I have raised it to 70-80 and things are looking GREAT! Because I was so paranoid I did two ONFCTs just to make sure! (0.5 drop one night then 0.0 drop the second night).

I’ve had my swg since 2012 whenI built the pool. I drain at least 1 & 1/2 feet of water. Winter temps determine what opening looks like in spring. Cold summer with snow and ice gets us a clear pool. Warm winter with rain gets me a green pool that takes a couple hours to a day to clear. I use bleach to open and don’t use the swg until the second or third day. Pool stays great rest of season

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.