Do I still need to shock if I am able to vacuum the start of algae?

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So my chlorine is well maintained at about 3.5 for TC, yet I’m still experiencing the build up of algae in my Salt water pool.

Unlike other occasions where algae built up, I’m able to vacuum or brush it off, in that case am I still required to shock and at what concentration if it can be removed from vacuum or brush?

Should I be maintaining a higher TC? I’ve been a little lazy this season and I have only been brushing / vacuuming once every two weeks.

If you have algae, there's no doubt you'll want to SLAM Process. Maintaining the correct level of FC based on your current CYA until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria is critical. Don't forget to lower the pH first as noted on that SLAM page. Once you have passed those criteria, we can discuss anything pitfalls that may have led to the algae in the first place. Good luck!

Everyone here will want You to post your own drop test numbers. Without those it is almost impossible to give good advice. Once you have those the advice here is amazing.

Be careful. If growing algae something is out of whack with the pool chemistry. What you vacuum up is only what you can see and it might be a bigger problem waiting to happen—-posting all the chemistry parameters will help a lot with identifying what needs fixing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.