Do I really want PebbleTec or PebbleSheen as a resurface for my existing pool?

jjg0828

Feb 21, 2022
Debary, Fl
I live in Central Florida and have a quartz finish on my 14 year old pool. It’s time to do an interior makeover. After reading about the many problems regarding consistency and splotching and green color outcomes with PenbleTec products, I am concerned. Also I like the PebbleSheen product but am having a tough time trying to decide on the correct color finish. I would like a rich medium blue color such as Blue Surf, Blue Granite, Slate Blue. Unfortunately my pool at the deep end is only 6 ft and from the pictures I’ve seen on the website at a depth of 6 feet the water looks more greenish than blue. Help please!

problems regarding consistency and splotching
This is a function of the skill of the plaster crew, not the product itself.

green color outcomes
There are several plaster colors that have hues of green. I personally don't like them, but some people choose them. They have many color choices that do not have green in them. Some pools also have poor chemistry/algae which accounts for the green color.

having a tough time trying to decide on the correct color finish.
See if there are pools nearby that you could visit and see firsthand. Your friends, neighbors, and plaster company may be able to help you out. We are very glad we did this before finalizing our plaster color (Pebble Sheen Blue Surf).

Here is our Blue Surf at 6 feet. I think it looks much more blue than green. I will say when it was first filled, it had more of a green tint and we were not a fan. Our PB told us to be patient and sure enough, the green went away after a few weeks.

Also at the bottom, I posted a 2nd pic on the day of filling, so you could see the greenish tint in the deep end that is now gone.

Blue Surf 2.jpg
Full4.jpg

Reactions: ShadyPool
I live in Central Florida and have a quartz finish on my 14 year old pool. It’s time to do an interior makeover. After reading about the many problems regarding consistency and splotching and green color outcomes with PenbleTec products, I am concerned. Also I like the PebbleSheen product but am having a tough time trying to decide on the correct color finish. I would like a rich medium blue color such as Blue Surf, Blue Granite, Slate Blue. Unfortunately my pool at the deep end is only 6 ft and from the pictures I’ve seen on the website at a depth of 6 feet the water looks more greenish than blue. Help please!
Only way a pool is more green than blue is if it has brown/sand tones in the finish or if it is dirty...

Reactions: bmoreswim
This is our newly finished pool with PebbleSheen Prism Blue. It’s still changing colors a little but also started out more teal and is settling into a bluish aqua. Personally I prefer the darker look on overcast days and this was a great compromise since it really pops in the sun.

Attachments

• 2CF5FD80-0A08-47A7-9343-29DE2FE9B630.jpeg
    2CF5FD80-0A08-47A7-9343-29DE2FE9B630.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 3AF77B92-9D66-4FC8-A6FB-37445994F9D5.jpeg
    3AF77B92-9D66-4FC8-A6FB-37445994F9D5.jpeg
    798.1 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Newdude
Personally I prefer the darker look on overcast days and this was a great compromise
It's CRAZY. I had a dark navy liner with white swirls. It was electric blue on bright days, and ink black at sundown. On stormy days it would be umpteen shades of gray from just a 'little angry' light gray to dark thunder cloud ominous gray. In the spring it would pick up hints of yellow and green from the trees..... I think I saw the same pool twice in 9 years.

To think how much we agonized over the choice of that one picture in the brochure which was only a momentary snapshot of an incredibly moving target.

@jjg0828 all you have to do is get anywhere remotely close to your preffered shade and you'll see it, and dozens more that you didn't even know you'd like. Any pictures you see would be different by the end of the hour.

Reactions: PfTXPoolDad
Absolutely agree. Wife and I split the decisions we would make. Plaster color was on me and I agonized until the pool was filled. In the end, there are so many factors that influence what it will look like that are out of your control.

My advice is pick something you like and know your pool will be unique and no matter how many photos of other pools you see, you won’t ever see two that are alike even if it’s the same material, finish, or color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.