Do I need to test for TA before adjusting my pH

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I noticed that when I want to adjust my pH, the value of what I need to add changes depending on my TA. So my question is this... If I see that my pH is low and I want to adjust it accordingly, should I first test my TA. That way, I enter the correct TA value before it calculates how much Borax I need to add? I don't test my TA everyday, but I do check my pH every so often.

If you test your TA weekly, that should be sufficient. Unless your TA is very high and you are adding large amounts of acid very often to lower the pH.

Reactions: Mendy48
If you need to raise the pH, the TA is probably too low.

If the TA is good, you should never have to raise the pH.

If you use trichlor tabs, the pH and TA will drop due to the acidity of the tabs.

You need to keep a close watch on the CYA if you're using tabs as it can quickly get away from you.

If my pH falls low in the near near future, Should I use a pole to aerate my pool since it’s way too cold to jump in? Or maybe turn the return jets upward. I often wonder about my return jets too. I’m not even sure which way they should be pointing.

If my pH falls low in the near near future, Should I use a pole to aerate my pool since it’s way too cold to jump in? Or maybe turn the return jets upward. I often wonder about my return jets too. I’m not even sure which way they should be pointing.
However you can do it. Is there a hose spigot plumbed into your filter system? Some people have them. That would be the simplest -- just connect a garden hose and a sprinkler. Or try pointing the return up. Just experiment a little. I discovered a 1/2"PBC fitting is a snug friction fit on my eyeballs, which opened up a whole world of opportunities! Other people have rigged up a sprinkler to use when they add water.Others have made bubblers using an air compressor or a leaf blower. I imagine the blower function on a shop vacuum could create a bunch of bubbles, too!

What's the CYA?

If the TA is 100 and the pH is too low, the CYA is probably getting too high.

What is the pH?
pH is good now cause I added borax. But I guess I could have used aeration as suggested. I know this now. Learn something new everyday.

However you can do it. Is there a hose spigot plumbed into your filter system? Some people have them. That would be the simplest -- just connect a garden hose and a sprinkler. Or try pointing the return up. Just experiment a little. I discovered a 1/2"PBC fitting is a snug friction fit on my eyeballs, which opened up a whole world of opportunities! Other people have rigged up a sprinkler to use when they add water.Others have made bubblers using an air compressor or a leaf blower. I imagine the blower function on a shop vacuum could create a bunch of bubbles, too!
Ah ha... great ideas. I’ll need this for future references.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.