Do I need to Slam?

Sask88

May 23, 2020
Saskatchewan Canada
Hello.
I have noticed my pool seems a bit cloudy when underwater today. Kids said it was like that yesterday as well.
Test results this afternoon.
FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 120
CYA 50
I have also come to the realization (thanks to a different post on here) that I have been doing things wrong for the past 2 weeks. I was raising my FC to 6 every night and it would drop to 3 before I would add again the next night. I now know I should raise it to 8 or 9 and let it drop from there. So I added enough to raise FC to 9 this afternoon after this test.

My current test.
FC 8.5
CC 0
PH 7.8

Wondering if I'm beginning to get algea?
Do I need to SLAM?

Also i am wondering how much suction my skimmer should have? I have noticed when I vacuum the pool there doesn't seem to be a lot suction from the vac hooked to the skimmer. Not sure it is really sucking anything up.

Maybe. I would search up on how to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) as that will tell you if your chlorine is battling something.

For a CYA of 50, 4 is your minimum and you need to try and keep it at 6-8, but you can go up to 20.

Since you also seem to be having filtering issues, I would check the filter. That could also be a sign of an algae bloom, but it could also mean you just havent cleaned it in a while.

Yes I am aware of the OCLT just wondering if I should start SLAM before tonight or if it matters in the long run I guess?
Also yes my filter is clean. Has the same pressure, 18 PSI as always. I am new to pools but this is the same pressure I've had since turning it on 2 weeks of ago.

A proper SLAM maintains the level, but if you are leaving for a week in a few hours I do not hate the idea of you bringing it up to SLAM levels to try and keep any algae at bay. Will your person checking on the house in 3 days be able to test and add chlorine?

When you get back, I would plan on doing an OCLT and likely needing to do a proper SLAM.

My OCLT was at 1ppm this am. That was only over about 6 hours though.
So I went ahead and bumped my FC to SLAM level after bringing my PH down to 7.4. I also brushed the pool and will vacuum when I get a chance before I leave today. Would you say I'm on the right track?
Thanks for all the information this far!

Now I have decided I need to add more water to pool because I think maybe that is why my circulation is not the greatest. Although I have nothing really to compare to.
So after I add water I will do a full test and see where I'm at. How long after I add water should I wait to test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I have added 209 gal of water.
Test results
FC 16
CC 0
TA 125
CH 200
CYA 40

I am getting better circulation now. Water is 3/4 up on skimmer, was down to about half.
I think the water looks clear other then the tree fuzz floating on top.
I think I feel much better about leaving this for a few days now.
Also do I leave the light blue solar cover on while I'm gone?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.