Do I need to run my spa jets daily?

veganryan

Silver Supporter
May 1, 2021
Hercules, CA
Greetings TFP,

Do I need to run the spa jets of my pool/spa combo daily? I haven't tinkered much with the EasyTouch schedule left for me by the previous owner, but since I've been TFP-ing, one thing I've noticed is that my pH is going to be tough to control. The previous owner had the spa jets set to run for 1 hour every morning. I'm wondering if this much is necessary, and if it's part of the reason why I'm going through so much muriatic acid.

Even without the jets, the spillway runs 8+ hours per day when the filter is running, so water is circulating fine without the jets.

If I do need to have the jets turn on daily, how much time per day is sufficient?

If I don't need to do it daily, should I have the jets set to turn on automatically at all? Once a week for 15 minutes? 3 times a week for a half hour each time? Something else?

(I'm certain this question has been answered here before, but I can't find the answer by searching, perhaps because I'm not using the right terminology. My apologies.)

Thanks so much for any input here, and for the entirety of this wonderful forum!

Agreed. My spa has a spillover but it’s powered by a separate pump. I only run it an hour a day (30 mins am 30 mins pm) to save on electricity and that’s been fully sufficient to chlorinate the spa. I only run the jets when it’s in use.

Reactions: veganryan
If you don't run the jets regularly the free chlorine in the jet lines will deplete and a biofilm will form which harbors bacteria. There is no need to run for an hour . It should only take a minute or two to get freshly chlorinated water to run through the jets. I dont know that anyone could tell you the necessary frequency. That will depend on many factors such as your typical free chlorine level and whether or not you use CYA in your tub (making your chlorine much less powerful). I run mine briefly every second day when I do my chlorine addition and after soaking when I add chlorine to make sure I always maintain a chlorine residual in the lines

Reactions: veganryan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.