Do I need to patch small hole high up in a vinyl pool

baip

Aug 7, 2019
Sunderland, MA
We have a vinyl pool, and the liner has a small hole (size about the diameter of a pencil) at about a similar height as the top of the skimmer opening (~5.5 inches from the deck). It is almost never under water. Do I need to patch it or can I leave it be?

I don't know about the materials behind the liner. It is brown/black color and feels like either a pitted concrete or a corroded metal (not just this spot but if I try to feel the liner at most places, it doesn't feel smooth). I wonder if the opening on top of the skimmer frame allows enough water to escape to damage the support behind the liners. Every Spring, we have a lot of rain water which will bring the pool water level much higher than we left it the previous winter.

Last edited:
Patch it both to keep water from getting behind the loner and keep the hole from getting bigger.

Sounds like your steel pool walls are rusting. Be prepared for significant repairs the next time you replace the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.