Do I need a timer for my SWCG?

^^^^ "Mech timer turns on pump and swg at the same time"

Bad idea.

Again, No constant power = dead internal pump battery = pump not working = green pool + possible SWG explosion.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but if the OP is not understanding the very basic concept of how to power a VS pump with internal electronics, let alone how to add an SWG to the mix, I'm not sure he should be getting advice about how to wire either off the internet. Perhaps a pool electrician would be worth the expense, which would likely cost less than damage caused by not wiring either of these expensive devices correctly. But not the original contractor, who didn't understand how to do it correctly either.

Sometimes DIY is a good way to save money, and sometimes it pays to hire a pro...

Not ro be rude either. But taken right out of my aquarite book.
The salt cell should never have the ability to be powered wo the pump moving water
a21287921c7f5216a53946631ab00153.jpg

Guys...

We are getting a little carried away with something that is not all that important... :D

I agree that a VS pump would normally be wired directly to the AC power but..... If you wire it to a mechanical timer the world will not end. Assuming that the timer is set to come on each day, it is unlikely that the pump will lose its program memory.

And if you have VS pump set to just come on and run at one speed it really makes very little difference.

I suggest we all stay .... :calm:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree. Getting carried away. All I know is that the main power goes to a mech timer, when activated it then supplies power to the pump which in turn starts its internal program. The pump begins to operate The swg comes the instant the pump gets power.
.. No internal battery that I am aware of in the pump. Pump power has to be on in order to program it. The program is most likely (imo) written into ram memory.. Never in 4.5 yrs have i had a problem I hope this explains it better than a picture. Sorry if the has been any confusion.
Guys...

We are getting a little carried away with something that is not all that important... :D

I agree that a VS pump would normally be wired directly to the AC power but..... If you wire it to a mechanical timer the world will not end. Assuming that the timer is set to come on each day, it is unlikely that the pump will lose its program memory.

And if you have VS pump set to just come on and run at one speed it really makes very little difference.

I suggest we all stay .... :calm:

Thanks,

Jim R.

When my new Swimpure SWG and VS pump were installed to my mechanical timer they were both put on the load side without the little trippers, which meant it never went off. Thus my pump would turn off but not my SWG. Flow switch failed and I had all kinds of problems. When I put the trippers in and it turned the swg off my pump losts its programming. I had to wire my vs pump to the line side of the timer so it would work properly just like Philo mentioned above.

For whoever reads this post I was merely stating what the mfg of my equip recommended based on the original subject line. However Anything is possible. Keep in mind that its still your pool to do with as one pleases..
I am moving on, with no regrets of the info I have supplied. Have a great day

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I like it for being simple, and 1600RPM is pretty good from a power perspective. Down the road if I want more flexibility I'll swap the vGreen 165 for the 270 that has an aux output for SWG.

I have the SWG running, working to get my CYA up to 60 so I can get it dialed in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.