Do I need a skimmer basket???

TheDude26

Jul 22, 2020
Mission Viejo, CA
Hi All,

My pool came with the home I purchased so I don't have a lot of history on it. The previous owner didn't have a skimmer basket in the skimmer well but "The Pool Cleaner" is hooked up to the return line that goes into the pool filter. There is a basket in the whisperflo pump. Do I need something in the skimmer well? I had a couple of people asked me about it and I didn't think about it before. See pics for more info.

Attachments

• PXL_20201028_003204200.jpg
    PXL_20201028_003204200.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20201028_003207269.jpg
    PXL_20201028_003207269.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 42
If you are using your skimmer as a skimmer, then yes.

It looks like your skimmer is being used for a suction cleaner so the skimmer basket has been removed. Is that the "robot" you have listed in your signature (suction cleaners are not robots)? Do you have other skimmers and do they at least have baskets?

Reactions: TheDude26
Dude,

You really need to step out of the 1970's and move into this Century.. You have a 1970's suction side cleaner and not a "robot".. Robots look like this and do not require you to run your pool pump to make them work...

The whole point of a skimmer is to well... skim.. They clean the junk off the surface of your water. I get tons of junk in my skimmer and the skimmer basket (plus hairnets) keep all they stuff out of my filters.

Where do all the leaves, bugs, etc., that float on your water go?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dude,

The skimmer basket is just that, and has nothing to do with the # of pipes in the bottom of the skimmer.

You need to measure the diameter of the little lip that the basket will sit on and the depth between the lip and the bottom of the skimmer.. Take that info to your local pool store and see which basket will fit the best.. If there is any info on the skimmer lid about the manufacturer of the skimmer, take that with you also..

Here is an example.. SPX1070E - Skim Master Skimmer Basket - Hayward APCB9

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your skimmer basket is necessary to help keep larger debris out of your filter. Its easier to clean out a basket then it is to clean a filter. And if you use skimmer socks which go inside the basket you also collect very fine dust and schmutz.

To vacuum you just need to add a skimmer plate which means all the debris that you suck up with the manual vac hose will collect into the skimmer basket as the water moves along to the pump.
Looks like this but it needs to be sized for your basket--> Search for: skimmer vac plate - INYOPools.com

Your pump needs to be "on" and the skimmer with a proper door in front of it will be working.

Have you cleaned the filter out yet??

Maddie :flower:

Also, think about larger "debris" like pool toys that kids leave in the pool. A little soft ball makes a nice plug in your pipes and might not make it all they way through to the pump basket. For that reason alone, I'd never ever run a skimmer without a basket.

This is all need to me, so I'm buying a basket right now. When I have the skimmer basket in, when can I hook up the vaccum? Like do I run the pump for 6 hours and do 4 hours of vacuum and then put the basket back in 2 for hours? I am new to all this and it's not adding up.

This is all need to me, so I'm buying a basket right now. When I have the skimmer basket in, when can I hook up the vaccum? Like do I run the pump for 6 hours and do 4 hours of vacuum and then put the basket back in 2 for hours? I am new to all this and it's not adding up.

Good question. I also run my cleaner through the skimmer, but I have a skimmer plate that my hose hooks into, so my basket (with a sock) stays in all the time. I switch between skimming and vacuuming as needed. Bit fiddely, robot would certainly be the better option, which I will eventually get, but for now it's working for me.

But it's certainly worth to not just run the cleaner, but also skim regularly. Makes a huge difference, gets rid of all the bugs, leaves and pollen floating on the surface.

Do you have a working skimmer weir door flap? Without, a skimmer doesn't skim, but just sucks in water from underneath the surface.

If your vacuum hooks straight into the skimmer port with the basket being removed, I'd recommend to use an inline leaf catcher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before you buy the skimmer plate, have you checked to make sure you don't have an in-wall suction port? Then you could skim and vacuum at the same time.

Dude,

I would be shocked if you had a wall suction port... Most old pools only had one skimmer with the main drain plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer.

Show us a pic of your equipment pad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.